Existing Member?

bohemiyan

A Smart Girl's Guide to Train Travel in India

INDIA | Tuesday, 20 May 2014 | Views [1267]

girls travelling

girls travelling

What’s better than feeling the breeze on your face as you literally float through the greenest landscapes of the world? The smells of fresh air, sometimes if you are  lucky then, rain- fed earth and all that nature has to offer leave you feeling in trance.

But, travelling in 2nd class sleeper is what a lot of people especially girls refrain from -citing comfort and safety issues. Fortunately, my father felt student life should be enjoyed in its totality so, I had the opportunity to travel a lot in sleeper class during my student days   and that’s when I got hooked to it. So, far my experiences have been predominantly good and many border on unique and great. If you love to interact with people, know their stories, train travel in a 2nd class sleeper is the one of the easiest and best ways to.

So, this article is my two cents about travelling in Indian Railways alone for the gender that prefers it less.

 Disclaimer: This is not a comprehensive guide and is based on solely my experiences  but will get enriched with your feedback and suggestions.

 Let’s start with the packing essentials:

So, do not forget to pack in your hand bag….:

1. A small towel  

2. A paper soap in your purse (comes very handy and useful)

3, Hand sanitizer (you might not find water always)

4. Panty liner (for longer train journeys)

5. Face wash

6. A power bank for charging (test it beforehand)

7. Lock and chain (yes old world, but nothing gives more piece of mind)

8. Some snacks and water

9. Lots of money change (keep notes of 10s, coins handy)

Dress up or blend in crowd:

1. Avoid wearing short or tight tops that can attract unnecessary attention and deviate you from your main purpose i.e. enjoying travelling. My experiments have varied from trying the long Kurta- jeans combination, long Kurta -salwar combination, loose t-shirt – jeans, T-shirt- osho pants to loose t-shirt- track pants combination. Take your pick. If you want to feel airy I would suggest avoid jeans, as they can make you feel sweaty and sticky at times.

2. Avoid wearing too many pieces of precious Jewellery

3. As you will be taking off and on your footwear many a times, limit it to flats -loafers, chappals or sandals. (Believe me I have seen some girls and aunties wearing heeled sandals.

4. Dupatta/Long Scarf: This is the SINGLEMOST IMPORTANT piece of clothing have found as multifunctional: it not only doubles up a as towel, cap, safety cover (if you are heavy on top). Infact I have many a times used it as cozy sheet to cover myself too.

Warming up with co-passengers:

This is the tricky one, as you don’t get to select them. If you decide to coil up into your book or laptop you are good to go but you will miss out on interacting with where the real India lives. Because the real country doesn’t live in cities neither the villages, the real country lives here in this no man’s land - on the very compartment you are travelling in. Between two cities, between a city and a village - you will find people with ample amount of time to tell their stories; people away from the hurriedness of a city now pacing out. So, its suggest do try to talk with some fellow passengers with the motive of knowing a little bit more.

Some good practices:

1. Making friends with a family is your best bet as they are safe and have empathy for a girl travelling alone. A group of aunties or aunty will anyways become your self-appointed guardians. But, it comes with a cost of listening to all their instructions and stories. If you have too many males in your compartment, DO NOT hesitate to walk up to the TC (Ticket Collector) and ask for a change of seat. (I have done it and it was a mental relief)

2. Be prepared to be asked intrusive questions. So, decide soon what all information you want to share. Indians can be very friendly when they want to be so don’t feel compelled to share it all. Yet, holding back information or giving curt replies is considered rude in Indian culture. So, have a story or diversion ready. I am still asked how do my parents allow me to travel alone? Where have I studied? How much did the course cost!!! If I feel uncomfortable, i do bluff about a friend /relative travelling in another compartment or steer the topic  about where their kids are settled ,how was their marriage planned etc ..etc

3. Class 12th boards, IIT & PMT (entrance exams), MARRIAGE and POLITICS are officially the favorite topic of conversation -you can talk about those. If you know nothing about them, switch to safer ones like food, cities and weather .Most conversations have left me chuckling inside.

4. Interacting with lone travelers:

If you have a single female passenger chances are 50/50 of her opening up .However, I have befriended awesome females on these journeys, some of whom went to the level of confessing their fears as a to-be bride.

 With uncles and boys, I follow a watch and decide policy .Sometimes; they have been amazingly insightful uncles on business travel and give you a good perspective. But, it’s good to keep your distance. So, pause between conversations is a necessity.

4. However, friendly you might become with any passenger, do not make the mistake of leaving your handbag -purse etc in the custody of anyone while you go to the washroom. Please keep your bag with you all times.

5. Keep yourself stacked with food and try not to take too much open cooked food from outside.

During the night time:

1. BERTH SELECTION: This goes back to the day you actually booked this ticket, but in India last minute changes is what is so great about us. This is extremely based on personal biases but I will prefer a upper to any other seat most of the times, because it gives me the liberty to lie down at any time of the day (a boon in long journeys). But, in night if you don’t know the fellow co-passenger this could turn to be unsafe. Berths near windows are breezy but you got to be cautious of yourself and your stuff

2. DO NOT allow any person to sit in your compartment and while away time. Immediately enquire about his ticket and reservation. Be rude enough to ask him to leave. He could be small time thief.

3. Do keep your luggage below the berth locked in chain preferably in view.

 Phew! This was one long list and maybe I skipped some. I hope haven’t deterred you further by giving out this list cause

But, most importantly it’s essential to pack your ATTITUDE and a flair for ADVENTURE .Try travelling without too many expensive things and and that takes half your load away. iI have had my share of good and bad adventures in Indian trains(more about them some other day ).

 But the sheer thrill of being able to hear the train beat , the liveliness of a herd of humans moving together ,makes it worth it .

DO NOT look vulnerable girl even if you are feeling that inside.

 Ladies! Do not skip on this fun ride !

 

About butool


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.