Existing Member?

Bridget Over Travelled Waters

Do's and Don't's in Australia

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 10 August 2011 | Views [19970] | Comments [3]

Across the world, Aussies are known as being those lucky, laid-back, easy-going bastards of Britain who let nay-sayers and insults glide right off like water off a duck's back. There's a common conception that there is no etiquette guide book for the land 'Down Under', because we're just too fucking lazy to make one. This is quite true. However, the unspoken rulebook is as vast as the desert, and unwittingly breaking the unspoken code might get you a schooner (google it) in the eye. 

DO offer to buy the first round of drinks at the pub. This will make you look like a 'top bloke' to your new Aussie mates, and it also means you won't have to get up for the next couple of rounds. Win, win.

DON'T remind an Aussie that their team isn't doing particularly well at their sport. There was once a time that we were good at everything, and we like to think that that is still the case. This is why you'll find reruns of victorious games and matches on the sports networks, instead of streaming those poofy yank sports. (translation: not as dangerous sports hailing from the United States of America)

DO act impressed/interested when an Aussie tells you a story about wildlife, the outback, the pub, their 15 seconds, and anything else. Even if the story does have racist undertones.

DON'T treat Vegemite like it's chocolate, unless you want to highly amuse your new Aussie mates. I recommend for your first experience to smear some butter on toast, followed by a thin spread of Vegemite. You can have your Aussie mate do this for you, if you trust them.

DO pretend like you know what your new Aussie mates are talking about. When in doubt, throw in some interjections such as, "Shit son!", "Farrrrk!" ('fuck'). Avoid using phrases such as "Crikey!", "Streuth!" and "Flamin gallah!", unless you are doing your impression of Alf Stewart from Home & Away

DON'T be a dick. 

DO play up to your national stereotype. There's not much Aussies love more than a good stereotype.

DON'T be scared of bugs/insects/creatures that could kill you, or you will be mercilessly mocked.

DO remind every Aussie you meet how much you love their country. We're smug like that.

DON'T act like you're not impressed.

Tags: #blogyourbackyard

Comments

1

Hi bkramer88,

Congratulations! This ‘Blog your Backyard’ submission has been chosen as one of the 20 winners of an Urban Adventures voucher. Please email Alicia@worldnomads.com to find out how to redeem your experience.

Thanks for being part of our ‘Blog your Backyard’ project and sharing your local knowledge with our community!

Cheers,
Alicia
WorldNomads.com

  travel-competitions Sep 14, 2011 9:44 AM

2

"Even if the story does have racist undertones"...sorry but I don't care if the story teller gets all offended if I do not listen to his racist remarks. Racism is not to be tolerated...ANYWHERE. To look impressed/interested by a racist story is the same as saying you condone racism, and I for one do not condone racism. If the story teller gets racist, I walk away and find someone else to talk to who lives in the year 2011, not the year 1911.

  Sharalee Dec 2, 2011 10:47 AM

3

Oh that's good, because I prefer to find someone who can pick up on irony, so if we somehow end up in the same bar, it shan't be too crowded then.

  Bridget Dec 2, 2011 11:33 AM

About bkramer88


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.