Existing Member?

Pure Grit

My Video scholarship 2010 entry

WORLDWIDE | Saturday, 3 July 2010 | Views [1504] | Scholarship Entry

0 0 0 I was listening to the radio and heard about the Alliance of Concerned Men, a group of men that use their experience from the streets and time in jail as a way to steer young men away from a life of crime. I found it intriguing that a resume of jail-time and ‘thugging’ could possibly lead to a net benefit in some capacity for society. I contacted them and asked if I could film. The most difficult part was to gain the trust of the young guys and the gang. CT3, in the neighborhood of Clay Terrace, a community racked with violence. The young guys have a deep mistrust of anyone not from their hood. But because I was brought in by the Alliance, the guys eventually let down their abrasive fronts (I think meant to intimidate me) and became extremely candid. I feel that as a documentary filmmaker, my ambition is to tell stories that reach for a deep resonance and to touch on themes that transcend time, while giving viewers texture in a 2D medium. I guess I hope that viewers are able feel the story I’ve made…to become so engrossed that they can’t help but understand.    

Tags: 2010 travel video scholarship

About arock


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.