Existing Member?

Because this world is my home

Visit to London

PAKISTAN | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [242] | Scholarship Entry

I cannot still lose sight of the day when I visited London. Fairly, I had been envisioning this city in my daydreams. Fortunately, I got a chance to be the guest of it. To grasp the utmost, what would have been a better mode of transportation then walking after all? We wore our joggers, left the dorm of Kings College and aimed London Eye to be our first landing place. The 360 degree rotation of this Giant Wheel awarded us an out of this world view of River Thames, making its way through the Parliament building, Cathedral churches and complex buildings unhindered. Plentiful cars were crossing the incredibly built ‘London tower’s bridge’, which looked like a beautiful piece of jewel over the river. I wondered how sensational would it feel to be crossing this bridge every day? After the ride, we began to promenade the streets of Central London. As I observed the people around me, comparing whatever I saw to whatever I had imagined from the books. Everything was so different from what I had read. Curiously, the attires of the British women were found to be jeans and shirts rather than the printed surcoat, gowns and hoods. Nevertheless, the time victoriously changed clothes and drapes, it could not change the liveliness, the vigor and an unexampled beauty of River Thames as Author mentioned in his book, Thames; Sacred River, “To be baptized in the river is also to be reborn, to have crossed the threshold into a new life”. Each of his words made sense. I pleasantly observed the intricate architecture of the Big Ben and The House of Parliament. Also I remember an unexpectedly joyous street performance we enjoyed that day. The performer started off with silly yet amusing tricks and ended up startling his audience with a deadly stunt. As we reached Piccadilly Circus, I met a Korean sketcher who requested me if he could draw my sketch. Meanwhile he was sketching, my eyes were glued to the beautifully glaring lights set in celebrations of the upcoming Christmas, I took longer time to notice that the place was full of foreigners. For lunch, we found eating places encompassing food kinds from all over the world. Unquestionably, In Oxford dictionary, London should rather be defined as a global village. As I look back to that day, I reminisce the mesmerizing sight from the top of London Eye of the sun transfusing with the Thames. I reminisce the energy of city life, and mostly, I reminisce sitting at the Trafalgar square telling my cousin of how much I love to travel.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About arctictern


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Pakistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.