Existing Member?

TARDISing Around

Little big island

MALAYSIA | Monday, 5 January 2015 | Views [338]

So Penang...the pearl of the orient or something like that I read somewhere.

It is a nice little city, above a town, but not a big city, although it has a lot of space. My roughly 24 hours here are almost up so I'm just chillin' in a coffee shop with air conditioning because between 1pm and 3.30pm it is impossible to be in the streets, the heat is what I think would be at the gates of hell and 30 seconds in the sun will burn your skin. Please remember it is January 5th 2015, so it's Winter, I cannot imagine how it is in the Summer.

 

But let me get back on track, first of food. Anything, anywhere is good, my palate is not trained enough on real asian food to tell the difference, so just go and eat whatever you like, it's what I did and I can't complain.

 

Places to go to... I would advise the following, Kek Lok Si Temple, and Khoo Kongsi.

Kek Lok Si is considered to be one of the largest Budhist temples in south east asia, and going there you will immediately see why. It is massive. It is sort of a temple complex with several houses. One of the most impressive is the one on top, where there is an gigantic Kuan Yin Godess of Mercy. When I say gigantic I am not exagerating, Perspective doesn't help when it is based on memory but I would say probably equivalent to an 8 floor building tall. Gigantic and beautiful. All the other places there are also nice to visit. But if you go, do go to the top, don't waste your trip.

 

Khoo Kongsi, hah! This one is difficult to find, but worth the trouble. Khoo Kongsi is one of the oldest clan houses in Penang, and it is really beautiful. The architecture, the engravings, the murals... all worth some time to look properly. Take your time and enjoy it.

 

On Khoo Kongsi's street, which is also know as harmony street you can see a lot of houses of worship, for almost every major religion.

This area and little india, which is next to it area cool to walk around, but mainly the Khoo area, you will see amazing street art there, something that Penang is famous for, particulrly in Armenian Street. Some are massive murals, others part painting part instalation, but all are really nice because they blend with the street, pay attention when walking around or you may miss something amazing. While you are there, cross the street and go to the Jetty, old wood houses and shops on stills above the sea, and one of the coolest juice bars I have seen. Not going to spoil it, you'll recognize it when you see it.

 

That is all from Penang, for 24 hours it is ok, I guess. Next stop, KL again for the last 2 days. Can't believe how fast this went, the amount of things I've seen and tried, and that there is so much more that I haven't...

About archeraj


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.