Existing Member?

The long road home

Jordan

JORDAN | Friday, 4 January 2008 | Views [1730]

We left Dahab by bus for a trip up to the ferry-port. Somehow our driver got lost on the way and we stopped to ask directions from a passing local on a camel (seriously). After untold delays our ship set sail for Jordan. Because its such an @rse to get through Israel, they send us by boat across to Jordan, so we have nice view of the Israeli and Saudi Arabian coastline. After a number of missions around Aqaba to get Jordanian currency (some link was down and it meant not one of us could get any cash out) we sorted out some funds and headed into the desert to Wadi Rum, and dersert camp where we were to spend the night. Our dinner was cooked Hangi-style (thats on hot rocks in the ground for those non-kiwis) and after a wee bit of dancing around the campfire were retired to our little tents. We had noticed in Egypt that they obviously weren't too keen on health and safety type rules and this was reiterated in Jordan when the campfire was dying a little so the dude just poured straight petrol onto it. Not once, several times.

The next morning we opted to drag ourselves up at 5.30am to watch the sun rise, I think I was wearing very piece of clothing I own, darn it was cold! After that we went a bit of a jeep safari around the weird rock formation type things that is Wadi Ram.

Next we headed up to Petra for what was one of the highlights of Jordan. I won't go into detail except to say that is was awesome and I highly recommend a visit (and it was darn cold too so take a poly-prop).

On our last day we went to the Dead sea. 114 metres below sea-level, you can actually see the rocks at the edge of the sea caked in salt. The dead sea was easily one of the funniest things I have ever done. While you know you are going to float, nothing can prepare you for just how much you float, it is just the weirdest feeling! Even tying to stand up you bob like a cork, even if you could touch the ground you can't because it just holds you out of the water, we were all laughing so hard. The bottom of the sea is this thick black mud which they sell in the shops so you plaster that all over yourself and let it dry before washing it off, it all added to the fun.

From there we went on to Ammann, the biggest city in Jordan. It was raining so we decided to visit the local shopping mall (Mecca Mall) to check out the locals. Firstly getting into the place was a mission, they have scanners and "bouncers" at the entrance, scanning bags and turning people away. It was like getting into a nightclub, we pushed our way through the crowd and were ushered inside. Inside was totally manic, and we seemed to get the impression Mecca Mall was the local pick-up joint as they are not allowed to visit pubs or bars.

On our last day we travelled back down to Aqaba (4 hours) took the ferry back to Egypt (2 hours) and then we driven right across Egypt back to Cairo (7 hours). We played a lot of i-spy on that trip (although being in the desert makes a difficult game (sand, rock, road), one is required to be inventive, eg: i-spy something beginning with "S"....... Saudi Arabia).

Our last day in Cairo was spent at the Egyptian Museum checking out all the mummies that belonged in the tombs we had visited in Luxor -the mummies were amazing, thousands of years old and you could see their eyelashes, fingernails and even the veins in their heads.

We had a fantastic time and got on really well with our tour group - some great people I hope to see again.


Next stop.... Cape Town!

Tags: On the Road

About annekebroadbent


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Jordan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.