Existing Member?

Anna in Italy "You may have the universe if I may have Italy." Giuseppe Verdi

The Dog Story

ITALY | Wednesday, 2 October 2013 | Views [1870] | Comments [13]

One thing you should know about Macerata if you’re ever planning on coming here is that it is a town swarming with dogs. Big dogs, little dogs—all over the place! Of course, you guys know me, the biggest dog lover out there, so this poses no problem whatsoever, you could almost say it’s my favourite part of living here. However, the story I am about to relate does not concern the generally well-behaved dogs-on-leashes you find in the city centre and public gardens. Warning: the following story is not for sensitive readers!! Parental guidance recommended for children under 15!

Innocent Dog 2

 

Innocent Dog 3

Innocent Dog 4

 

So today I decided I was going to go for a walk. I’ve had some headaches and haven’t been sleeping too well, so I had the bright idea that maybe some fresh air would do me good! Great idea, wasn’t it? Well, in theory, yes. However, unfortunately I forgot to bring my sub-machine gun along on the walk, the results of which were consequently not as positive as might otherwise have been anticipated.

Anyway, so I’m cruising along down a country lane, the sun’s shining on and off, the weather’s pretty much perfect for taking a walk: not too hot and not too cold. The first sign of possible trouble is in the form of an enormous WOOF in my ear as I’m walking past a garden. I turn my head to see a white dog approximately the size of a Shetland pony staring at me longingly through the fence. Fortunately its elephantine size hinders it from getting through the fence as it obviously wants to; this, of course, does not prevent it from running along next to me barking encouragingly for the length of the property. I’m not at all fazed by this: I simply do an Owen and put my finger in the ear closest to the animal, and stroll along calmly without changing my pace. I won’t be dictated to by a mere dog.

A hundred metres further down the road I see the dog’s cousin—i.e. huge, white and hairy—in a garden which is kind of down an embankment, also barking excitedly. To my unbounded horror, I realise that this dog is in fact not enclosed in the garden, but actually on the loose and making use of its freedom to come galloping up the hill toward me. I’m obviously terrified out of my wits, but you know, I’m thinking “Anna you can do this! Dogs can smell fear, so don’t be scared!! Dogs can smell fear!! Whatever you do, just don’t be scared!” So I stick out my hand and courageously start scratching its head in what I hope is a professional dog-handler’s manner. To my outrage and disgust I notice a number of black things on its white fur that I can only assume are fleas. I also have to endure the dog sniffing and licking all over my hand and am forced sacrifice my watch to its antisocial behaviours. Anyway after 30 seconds of this I’ve had enough and decide I want to keep moving. The dog (hereafter the monster) is having none of this, and starts—I kid you not—leaping up on me, putting its dirty paws on my shoulders, my clean singlet, &etc. I try telling it to “go” in both English and Italian without much success. Finally I just force my way past and pretend nothing is happening. The monster, of course, starts following me down the deserted road, first gallivanting behind, then in front of me, then “sniffing my hand with its teeth” (#JamesAllen: otherwise known as “biting”). However, just when I start pulling out my phone with the firm intention of obtaining some photographic evidence of this harassment by an Italian canine, the monster decides to run away, possibly thinking I’m calling the police.

I heave a huge sigh of relief and keep walking. I have peace for maybe another 10 minutes, and then, lo and behold, another rabid dog free to persecute innocent passers-by.

Dog Attack 1

What is with Italian dog-owners and not understanding to keep their dangerous beasts in barbed wire enclosures?? This dog is about a quarter of the size of last one, but it’s still large enough to cause me some discomfort, with similar uncontrolled “leaping” habits and the identical intention of following me to the ends of the earth. In addition to being hideously ugly, however, this dog is also intelligent. I’m almost at the point when I’m ready to stop one of the cars passing by and ask its occupants to rescue me from this pest of an animal, but the problem is that whenever a car comes, the dog dives into the nearest bushes and disappears, so I have no evidence. Of course it reappears as soon as the car has driven by. I managed to get a picture of this dog, you can see it below, I mean this is clear, unedited proof that it was actually trying to eat me.

Dog Attack 2

Dog Attack 3

Anyway I’m continuing down the road doing my best to ignore the unwanted company when I see a sight that makes me almost faint with fear: THREE members of the canine species streaking down a driveway toward me. And these are not white, Shetland pony sized dogs; they are black, lean machines that look like Doberman-Pit bull crosses. I actually think my last hour on earth has come; I see no humans that could conceivably offer me assistance if all four of these dogs decide to attack me—and make no mistake, the three newcomers look very prepared to attack.

I do not stop, but keep walking, putting one foot after the other, and hoping the end will be swift. After a few seconds, I realise that the vicious dogs don’t appear to be coming any closer. I risk a quick turn of the head and guess what?? The three dogs have set on the one that was following me, and they are all of them having a huge discussion/fight/game together. I don’t stop to analyse the situation closely, as far as I’m concerned, if the dog that was following me gets eaten by these three newcomers then its owner is to blame for not keeping it on his own property. I’m just thankful that I am still alive to tell the tale!

This marks the end of the traumatic experience otherwise known as “Anna’s first and last walk in the countryside of Macerata.” I hope you enjoyed it, more updates to come soon here on Anna in Italy.

Comments

1

Yet another amusing story of Anna's Adventures in Italy. I laughed so much. U were very brave!! Take care.

  Fiona Naccari Oct 3, 2013 5:31 PM

2

Haha thanks Fiona. I think I will have to give you the title of Most Faithful Commenter! Always nice to hear from you... :):):) Hi to Adrian and the kids!

  Anna Oct 3, 2013 11:59 PM

3

I love reading your blog and I like how you write! I can hear say it all! Sending a hug! You will have to help me with my Italian when you come back. Ciao Bella.

  Fiona Oct 4, 2013 7:36 AM

4

Funny, Anna - though maybe not at the time ... and we thought Wills Rd was bad! :) find yourself a good, stout stick to carry along with you, so you don't have to give up your walks altogether. That would be a pity. Keep safe - love from me, Henkela

  Henkela Oct 5, 2013 10:49 PM

5

I enjoyed your blog with a cup of tea before my little tribe (only two school goers) get up to start the new term! Italian Uni system reminds me of old-fashioned year 12: the entire marks (and hence "ATAR" score) hung on one end-of-year exam in each subject! Thanks for the geography lessons......I new next to nothing about modern Italy! Can you translate that comment from the Italian girl........
God bless you and keep you Anna! with love Helen

  Helen Oct 7, 2013 7:48 AM

6

@Fiona: I'd love to help you with your Italian. We'll have to have some nice cosy evenings, if there is ever time for anything like that back in crazy Melbourne... :)

@Henkela: Haha yeah in hindsight, it was pretty amusing. :D But no, not even with a stick would I go back on that road, to quote Sid from Ice Age: "I choose life!" ;) Trust me, Wills Rd has nothing on this one...

@Helen: Yeah the one exam thing does increase the pressure a bit, I must admit. But I'm not too stressed, because I'm not taking a lot of subjects, so I should have plenty of time to study enough for them. Regarding the comment, are referring to the one in the other article? The girl said that young people in Italy say that the subjunctive tense is dead. And this is a difficult tense that I have spent a lot of time and effort learning, so naturally I wasn't too pleased about that ;) Take care Helen. Lots of love to you too xx

  Anna Oct 7, 2013 8:17 AM

7

Anna! This was hilarious, I have tears in my eyes. I've only just visited your blog for the first time..what have I been missing! It is so great. I'm having to do a massive catch up and read all your entries but enjoying it so much. Reading the comments from friends is also really nice. I love you Anna and so glad you're loving it there! Xx

  Tini Oct 17, 2013 12:07 AM

8

haha Anna, havn't visited for a while but was prepared for some good reading when I got on now....I'm sorry but I laughed out loud when I read this, though I guess iit wasn't funny at the time!

  Anna Nooit Oct 21, 2013 1:26 PM

9

I seriously cannot get over this blog. Have really been missing out. I looked at your photos before, but did not start reading before a couple of days ago.
I absolutely love it. Added this blog to my favourites at work which is dangerous because I will be sitting in my office laughing to myself and people will think I have gone crazy :) Love you, Anna!

  Kari Oct 24, 2013 4:52 PM

10

@Anna: Please don't say sorry for laughing, that's the idea... I'm glad you thought it was funny :-D I mean I laugh when I look back on it, it was just too ridiculous for words. Did you like the warning? I put that there because you told me Ranita was reading the blog, I was terrified of having a host of angry mums on my back for giving their kids nightmares about being eaten by dogs :):)

@Kari: Haha I'll have to come up with some amusing stories then, but help!! nothing funny has happened to me this week!! I'll make something up, just for you... xx :)

  Anna Oct 25, 2013 5:07 AM

11

bahaha LOL...would've been funny to see photos of the killer beast dogs, but your description painted a pretty good image in my mind...hehe x

  Sarah Ward Oct 28, 2013 2:10 PM

12

Oh Anna - sounds terr-i-fying!!! I have had a 'few confrontations' with the feline beasts over the years as well....just need to reassure ourselves, and let them know, (sometimes easier said than done) that we DO have dominion over them. Do you remember the story of 'little' Borghild at the Hardenberg's? They had dogs at the time (probably Kew) and she happened to be in the backyard and was overhead saying: It's written, fear not! (or similar) It has been a help for me. So, that was an amazing outcome Anna, that you were rescued by dogs. Obviously your love for them is still kept alive :) All the best with the studying and exams. Caio for now!

  Maggie Dickson Nov 3, 2013 5:06 PM

13

@Maggie: Haha I can assure you the "Borghild and the dog" story was UPPERMOST in my mind during the entire confrontation! Perhaps that is why I escaped unscathed. Yes my love for dogs is as strong as it ever was (read into that whatever you like:) Have a good week! xxx

  Anna Nov 4, 2013 11:31 PM

About annarisa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.