Existing Member?

Anna in Italy "You may have the universe if I may have Italy." Giuseppe Verdi

The Road to Macerata

ITALY | Thursday, 12 September 2013 | Views [609] | Comments [12]

Before I start blogging about life in Macerata, which is where I am now, I just wanted to share a couple of random things from the trip here. Things that happened, people that I met and so on. Sometimes I have to just wonder what my life would be like if I never opened my mouth to speak with the people around me; so much less interesting I imagine…

 

Melbourne to Doha: Well this was a 14+ hour trip, the longest stretch I’ve ever had in one go. And at about the 13.5 hour mark, I discovered the lady sitting next to me actually works at the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development, the place I’ll be starting at when I get back to Melbourne. I’ll be in the same building as her, and I didn’t even ask her name :o) Talk about coincidences!

Doha to Rome: Ok the first cool thing on this flight was the breakfast. I had just been served breakfast at the end of the Melbourne-Doha flight, and disdainfully refused the hot food (either omelette or frittata, both of which resembled half-cooked egg and mushroom swimming in oil) but for whatever reason we were getting served breakfast again. Anyway so the flight attendant asks me what I want, he’s going through the options and I’ve actually got my mouth open ready to say no-thanks-I-don’t-want-any-hot-food-just-the-croissant-thanks-and-could-I-have-two-please when he finished with saying they have chocolate pancakes. I literally went “You’ve got WHAT??!!” (I think half the plane must have heard me). He repeated, “Chocolate pancakes with cream.” My jaw nearly hit the floor!! Anyway I obviously ordered that and it was just indescribable! I’ve never had something so good on a plane, you could almost say it was life-changing! Definitely a memorable experience.

So anyway after that I was stretching my legs at the back of the plane when a woman came up with the most adorable baby. I took it off her at once and had a lovely hold while chatting to the mother, an Italian who has lived in Melbourne for 5 years. All the flight attendants were coming up to me trying to tempt the baby away with various food and toys, but to no avail, she stayed with me until turbulence started and I had to give her up <sigh>.

Rome to Cagliari: I was almost dead with exhaustion by this time, but I was still able to see the humour in this flight. The plane took off and climbed steeply for about 20 minutes. Then it levelled out and the seatbelt sign came off. Instantly all the flight attendants sprang into action. They pulled out their little metal trolleys and literally raced down the aisle (one from each end) asking the passengers “Qualcosa-da-bere? Qualcosa-da-bere? Qualcosa-da-bere?” (Something to drink?) They poured all the drinks at full speed with unbelievable accuracy. I don’t think they spilled a drop – I’ve never seen anything like it. They then hurtled back down the aisle collecting the rubbish, and the second they got to the end the seatbelt sign was back on and we were descending. At 45 minutes or something it is definitely the shortest flight I’ve ever taken.

Cagliari to Rome: This trip was pretty similar to the above. I hadn’t slept much in Sardinia due to jetlag, which meant I was still pretty tired when I got onto the plane, and so of course the first thing I did was sit in the wrong seat (9E instead of 9B). However, when it was discovered they didn’t get me to move, and I’m so glad because I ended up sitting next to the most lovely girl #MartinaFromSardinia who was heading to England to study for her third year. We had an enjoyable conversation, and took a photo when we arrived at the airport to remember it :)

Martina

Rome to Macerata (bus): This was just really random. I got on the bus at the first stop. At the next stop a bunch of people got on, and a group of three sat next to me and across from me. As soon as they opened their mouths it was very clear that they were Australian. Nice, friendly and talkative. I guess it was just another one of those coincidences… :o)

Comments

1

Hi Anna, Just got back myself from my holiday in Vic. So nice to read the blog. All the best with the studies!/ I'll be looking out for more updates!,love,Johanna

  Johanna Sep 12, 2013 8:57 PM

2

Just to let you know I read this :D.

  Bessie Sep 12, 2013 10:45 PM

3

Ciao Anna! Mi rende felice che ti stai divertendo! Mi piacerebbe andare in Italia qualche giorno! Quella vista del aereo è magnifica! Vorrei dirti, questo blog è scritto benissimo! Mi devi scusare che non ti ho salutato prima che sei partita. Mi pareva che ci vedessimo di nuovo ma purtroppo non era il caso :( Comunque, divertiti a ci sentiamo bellissima :) un abbraccio e bacio forte d'Australia!

  Lidia Sep 13, 2013 1:27 AM

4

Johanna: How nice to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by. I'll have more updates just for you... :-)

Bessie: Haha I don't require proof. Anyway I would have thought you would have commented on the other post, where you have a starring role :):)

  Anna Sep 13, 2013 1:52 AM

5

@Lidia: Come sanno tutti, Italia e il paese piu bello del mondo. Magari tu fossi qui con me, mi serverebbe davvero un'amica appassionata come te con cui potessi condividere i piaceri di Macerata! ;-) Spero che tu stia bene nella fredda Australia :) un bacio anche a te xox

  Anna Sep 13, 2013 2:01 AM

6

Did you see Sardinia from the air? The water is so blue! Did you get to spend time in Rome or straight to Macerata? Hows your accommodation? If you taste something really yummy get the recipe and post it. Sending you a hug.

  Fiona Naccari Sep 14, 2013 7:34 AM

7

hi Anna - all the best with everything! these stories wouldn't be quite as funny if anyone else wrote them :)

  Katie Sep 15, 2013 12:28 PM

8

LOVING this already Anna!! Thanks! Keep the posts coming!!

  Liz R Sep 15, 2013 9:35 PM

9

@Fiona: I did have pizza in Sardinia and it was delicious. I had trouble seeing anything from the air because I never had a window seat :( unfortunately no time in Rome yet but hopefully that will come. Nice to hear from you!

@Katie: is that an insult or a compliment? It will take me till next week to figure it out, lol

@Liz: Thanks for stopping past. I will try to get my next post up today :) xx

  Anna Sep 15, 2013 10:20 PM

10

You've got WHAAAT ? Mi è piaciuta tanto quella parte xD

  Marion Oct 10, 2013 3:32 AM

11

Haha, I am reading this at work and the pancake story made me laugh out loud. no-"thanks-I-don’t-want-any-hot-food-just-the-croissant-thanks-and-could-I-have-two-please" Hahaha, I can HEAR you tell this!!!!!!! LOVE IT! and I miss you!

  Kari Oct 24, 2013 4:28 PM

12

@Marion: Mi fa piacere bella, grazie :) xx

@Kari: Hehe you should have tried the pancake, you would have loved it!!

  Anna Oct 25, 2013 4:45 AM

About annarisa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.