Existing Member?

Anna in Italy "You may have the universe if I may have Italy." Giuseppe Verdi

First Time in Sardinia!

ITALY | Thursday, 12 September 2013 | Views [2433] | Comments [16]

Check this story out to find out about the first four days of my Italy trip, which I spent in the beautiful province of Oristano, chilling on the beach, meeting new people, and doing my best to conquer the jetlag :)

Where do I even start? Possibly my arrival at Cagliari airport would be a good idea. So after having checked the weather forecasts since about the beginning of June on a weekly basis, and being delighted to see that rain is apparently an unknown phenomenon in Sardinia, I was rather astonished to find myself in the middle of a thunderstorm. That's right people. After about 30 hours of travel (and not having slept a wink) I had to hire a car and drive by myself for 1 1/2 hours in the rain and dark (except for the lightning flashes) to an unknown destination. The GPS did a great job in getting me fairly close to the caravan park I was headed for, however, since I didn't have an exact address, the voice told me I had reached my destination when I was in the middle of a roundabout! This could have been rather traumatic, except that just as I was entering full panic mode, I spotted a police car, the driver of which was very happy to assist me (by giving me the wrong directions :). To cut a long story short, I finally found the place and it turned out to be really nice (when seen by daylight). There was a dream of a beach literally 30 seconds from our cabin, and the surroundings were just gorgeous. 

The beach 100m from our cabin

The next day (which was hot hot hot and showed no signs of the previous night's storm) I picked up the other girls from the airport and we went past the town of Torre Grande (Big Tower) on our way to the caravan park. Torre Grande is on another beautiful beach, and this was actually where I made my great discovery: namely that the idea of me returning to Australia in January is a big joke. Seriously guys, I am not leaving this country till I am evicted, or extradited, or whatever the word is. It is INCREDIBLE!!! The weather is AMAZING, the beaches are UNBELIEVABLE, the people are SUPER FRIENDLY and they ALL speak Italian! What more could I ask? :) Imagine Australia, except without snakes, spiders, bugs of all kinds, mosquitoes and flies, and way better weather. Honestly when you check the photos of this place you are all going to come storming here as fast as you can. People say the economy is shot, but I say who cares? Why do you need money when you're basically living in a paradise? 

Torre Grande

Anyway so what else happened in Sardinia? Oh yeah, we went to Zinnigas for the conference, where we met tons of cool people and played volleyball in some insane heat, but it was really fun. We went to a famous beach one of the days, Is Arutas I think it was called, where the water was, no jokes, like nothing you have ever seen. I think it's because the sand here is a bit coarser/heavier than what we've got in Australia, so it stays on the bottom of the sea instead of coming into the water like it does back home, with the result that the water is just clearer than crystal, like I can't even describe it. 

Zinnigas

Is Arutas

But hey I guess that's enough on Sardinia. Check out the photos and leave a comment if you like, I'd love to hear from you all :) Oh and by the way, you have to hover the mouse over the photos if you want to see what they're about, I couldn't get captions happening...

Pig

Laura and AnnaAntsSunglasses

Comments

1

Te l'avevo detto, l'Italia è meravigliosa!!! ;)

  Marion Sep 12, 2013 5:25 AM

2

Hi Anna! I'm loving this blog. Keep the updates coming.

  Anna Nooit Sep 12, 2013 9:39 AM

3

Oh, Anna - just skimming over this page because I am on my way out the door and don't have much time, ...but I can already see that I'm going to LOVE your blog!!!
Thanks so much for sharing! Thinking of you very often.

  Henkela Sep 12, 2013 9:58 AM

4

Marion: E te l'ho gia detto: hai sempre ragione... vraisemblablement :)

Anna and Henkela: So nice you guys are easy to please, thanks for commenting! I'll defs keep updating as often as I can, though it's more time consuming than I expected, as the internet is a bit slower than what I'm used to. I'll do my best though! :-)

  Anna Sep 12, 2013 1:32 PM

5

Love this blog already Anna! Made me laugh out loud in the tearoom

  Rebecca Sep 12, 2013 9:31 PM

6

So there are no snakes, spiders, flies, mosquitoes...? pity there are ants :-( Well I guess there are some things you can't get away from! Hope you don't come across any centipedes while you're there....! But watch out for the bedbugs:-)
Sounds like great fun Anna! Nice to see!

  Sarah Sep 13, 2013 12:27 AM

7

Looks Amazing Anna!!!!!

  Mimi Sep 13, 2013 10:46 PM

8

Thanks Mimi it is! Come and visit :)

@Rebecca: Glad I made you laugh, that's my good deed for the week ;-)

@Sarah: there were only ants on my suitcase, I haven't spotted them anywhere else in the country, and anyway they weren't bull ants, just tiny little ones... ^^, So it's quite safe to come!

  Anna Sep 14, 2013 4:11 AM

9

I love this blog Anna. I love Sardinia too and I wish I was there with you! Glad you are having a great time. Did you eat pizza on the beach in Sarchittu? Did you go to Tharros? Groan....I love the beaches there. Swimming in the Mediterranean is different then the beaches in Australia. Missing you already. Sounds like we will have to come over to Italy to see you. Take care.

  Fiona Naccari Sep 14, 2013 7:24 AM

10

Anna :) looking forward to this blog! sound awesome over there!
from your faithful commenter :)

  Katie Sep 15, 2013 12:23 PM

11

Lol Katie, the title of faithful commenter is merited when you have commented 15 times, not 2 ;-) Where's Judy??:-D

  Anna Sep 15, 2013 10:23 PM

12

ANNA! Love this blog..!!! oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Have a fabulous day , im sure you will!!!!

  Marg Sep 16, 2013 1:01 PM

13

Thanks Marg! Wow 27 I'm getting ooooooooold! :):) I'll make sure you get a birthday greeting here on yours... xx

  Anna Sep 16, 2013 5:26 PM

14

ciao. hai detto che ti piaceva l italia e la sardegna, non immagginavo cosi tanto. sicuramente e un bel posto,e bello sentire che a qualcuno piace. sono sicuro che ti divertirai adesso come vieni a ottobre. grazie di tuttto, a presto,

  simpatici ma strani Sep 18, 2013 12:14 AM

15

Sei bravissima e divetentisima

  Mino Sep 18, 2013 1:22 AM

16

@Mino: e tu sei troppo fantastico. Non vedo l'ora di venire :):):)

@anonimoConcasFratello: grazie per il commento, sara bellissimo venire a voi. Ci vediamo :)

  Anna Sep 18, 2013 4:36 AM

About annarisa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.