Existing Member?

anita

Overnight bussing from Huaraz, Peru to Quito, Ecuador

PERU | Saturday, 21 August 2010 | Views [3230]

Last night I had quite a headache from the car ride to Huascarán, and I was delighted to find Fleur and Kuwait at the hotel, ready to chat, sympathize, and eat. We went to a local restaurant where chicken and fries were the “in” thing, and we again chatted about our respective days.

Today I leave Huaraz at 9:10pm to get to Trujillo Sunday morning; immediately upon arrival I’m going to be on the hunt for a bus from Trujillo to Tumbes to hopefully arrive in Tumbes Monday morning, and then I need to cross into Ecuador and get to the place that can get me an overnight bus to Quito. All things going according to plan, I’ll get to Quito Tuesday morning. Fingers crossed.

Saturday: Huaraz

Saturday night: travel to Trujillo

Sunday: Trujillo

Sunday night: travel to Tumbes

Monday: Tumbes, cross boarder; get to Loja/Guayaquil/Cuenca?

Monday night: bus to Quito

Tuesday: Quito! …fingies crossed

This adds up to, if things go “well”, overnighting in bus for the next three nights, which is great savings. I took a super thorough shower in anticipation of all this bussing and night-traveling.

Today I’m taking a short tour to the neighboring town of Monterray. I mostly took the tour since it is so short (4 hours) which will give me internetting time today before catching my bus. I’m the only one going, so apparently we’ll be going by taxi with a guide. All for s/40.

 *                      *                      *

30 minutes until go-time! (which according to urban dictionary is a gang term?)

I’m about to embark on the long journey of Huaraz to Trujillo (8 hours), Trujilllo to Tumbes (11 hours), Tumbes to Quito (12 hours), and if all goes well I’ll be in Quito by Tuesday. Right now I’m just praying I get the Trujillo à Tumbes bus for tomorrow night because then I am “home” free in Ecuador.

I read some rather shady things about boarder-crossing – right down to the taxi drivers! But I’m trying to turn any fear into thankfulness that I have been “pre-warned” and I’ll definitely be more on my toes. Most blogs seem to have been written around 2007, so perhaps things have improved. But still on my toes. Eyes wide open.

The tour through the company Lulo was no good, but it ended up being ok because I ended up using the “tour” more as a glorified taxi service, more-or-less station-hopping to make sure I could not indeed buy tickets from Trujillo to Tumbes from here. After lunch I got online and 4 soles later I was on my way to Movil Tours, where I am right now. I’ve heard many good things about this company, so I hope to get a good night’s sleep and see where tomorrow takes me!

Tags: boarder crossing, huaraz, huascarán, lulo, monterray, peru, trujillo, tumbes

About anita


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.