Existing Member?

Young Girl, Big World

The electric jungle, the mechanic drum

SOUTH AFRICA | Saturday, 19 April 2014 | Views [181] | Scholarship Entry

How did I end up here?? This place chose me.

I am a born and bred South African teen, growing up in what I believe to be the world's richest and most diverse cities in the world - Johannesburg.

We truly are a modern jungle. The dynamic energy of bustling taxi's and street vendors brings one to metaphorical imagery of the wild. Though we have our crime and dangers, we are all a part of this habitat.We are a cycle of nature that can only be described as exhilirating.

Surviving despite the predators we face, we live in a city that also feeds us with diverse culture, racial technicolor, powerful history and comradery.

At night the stars are mirrored by nocturnal city lights, like the reflection on an African lake. I am lucky enough to party in a city where 11 languages are spoken, but no one is a stranger.

Facial expressions and gestures speak a thousand words.

And within half an hour's reach, one can escape to open grasslands, rural lifestyles, and majestic wildlife.

We have the best of everything.

I am home.

I cannot wait to travel, and proudly tell people, Yes, hello, my name is Angelique, and I am from Johannesburg, South Africa.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About angelique


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.