Existing Member?

One world to the next

No time for divas in a hostel!

THAILAND | Thursday, 17 April 2014 | Views [215] | Scholarship Entry

I was always that girl scared to try things, grossed out by little things and always trying to fit into what society posses as "Normal".

Going out of my comfort zone and spending months in Asia was out of the question a few years ago. My idea of a vacation was a 5 star resort with a all inclusive bar and 3 new outfits a day. One day something in me changed, I guess the adventure bug bit me!

Booking my flight to Bangkok on a whim not knowing what to expect or what to gain. Little did I know this trip would change me and my perspective on life.

Packing was difficult; how could I not bring my designer watches or 10 different dresses? But this is what I wanted to break free from, I didn't want to bring my inner diva on this trip.

Arriving in Thailand was definitely a culture shock, a whole new world and a lot different then any place I have ever been or seen. "Scorpions for snacks on the street? Pythons to wrap around your neck? Elephants to ride? Where am I?" Dorm rooms with 20/30/40 beds; rooms filled with strangers all ages, all cultures. I instantly fell in love with this lifestyle.

Like no adventure I had ever experienced. I have been fortunate enough to have left Canada many times in my 23 years of life; but never had I ever experienced anything. All those trips had been just another Country, never truly leaving my comfort zone. I go to nice hotels or dreamy resorts to sleep in comfortable beds, eat the same foods I enjoy at home, and socialize with people living similar lives.

This trip opened my eyes to new experiences and really brought me to my reality. Showing what is important in life and what truly matters. Really opening my eyes up to how most parts of the world live.

Within the first few days my whole outlook had changed, I was no longer concerned about wearing the same clothes daily or eating off that sketchy food stand on the street; the one where the meat had been sitting out all day with flies and the sun beaming down on it. Instead I was bracing life running around barefoot trying every activity I could think of from becoming an advanced scuba diver to taking 3 day treks through the jungle. Forgetting how naive I once was.
I am now one of those people I never imagined I would be the girl who dreams of different worlds, experiencing new things and ditching everything I own for a backpack and a journal. Traveling puts the world in perspective and I want more!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About alissadavid


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.