Existing Member?

AliMareeRyan's journal

Hawaii

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 4 June 2013 | Views [456]

04-06-2013 D day no turning back now. Camera check, bag check, passport check alright lets do this.

The first of many flights to catch began from Melbourne to Sydney then Sydney to Hawaii were we relived the 04-06-2013 again. A little bit weary after the 12-hour flight and with 10 hours before our next, we tried to make our way to Wikki beach.  Only to get lost but luckily we run into a charismatic young woman named Jessica who showed us the way.

“Hey are you girls from Australia!” Little did we know what was in store, but Jessica is this incredibly strong willed woman, who was comfortable enough to share her life story. A story you wouldn’t expected a total stranger would be so willing to share, a story that hit a little bit too close to home.

As we hang out on the beach she explained to us that she use to live in Hawaii and that this was the first time she had been back in six years. She had come back to spread her mothers ashes. Being as we are we didn’t feel comfortable asking questions or pursue into how or why her mother had died but as conversation went on Jessica opened up. Telling us that just last month her mother fell victim to domestic violence and was murdered by a man to whom her mother was dating at the time. Taking back completely, we couldn’t believe our ears. You always hear about domestic violence on the news and in books but you don’t ever hear about it face to face.

This is only the beginning, there’s so much more to Jessica then meets the eye, and it’s incredible to think that in such a short stop over hanging out on the beach drinking pina calandos and obtained severe sunburn, that I could have learnt so much about love and strength as Jessica so brilliantly portrays.

We interview Jessica as part of the ‘The Adventures of Ali and Polly’ project. Video will be Coming Soon!

Tags: adventure, babies, beach, courage, hawaii, love, murder, passport, travel, violence

 

About aliryan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.