Existing Member?

all the way

La Piojera (The Flea House)

CHILE | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [2517] | Scholarship Entry

Local treasures are my favorite when it comes to traveling. One of my most memorable is located in Santiago de Chile. It takes the form of a dive bar and is very famous among the locals. They call it ‘La Piojera’.

Even though travelers have found this place on many websites in the Internet, I still consider this a local treasure. Why? Because going inside takes courage and some even decide to not experience it.

La Piojera is Spanish for the flea house; it does describes the place quite well. The place is loud and not exactly the cleanest. Chileans often come here to drink and have a good time, so encountering drunks is considered normal. The bathrooms? Well, let’s just say it’s wiser to go before or after La Piojera.

Reading the description above might not be very convincing for you. Even my first thought when I arrived was deciding whether I wanted to do this or not. Nevertheless, local treasures like these were my gems of traveling. So, after a deep breath, I walked in.

When you enter a local treasure like La Piojera and look different from the rest of the others there, you start to feel self-conscious. Luckily, I didn't feel that for long. The people in La Piojera are quite friendly. I chatted with one musician in the bar; ‘The Accordion Man’ was what I call him in my head. He told me he plays the accordion everyday there and sings to the costumers. Oh, did I mention he has a wonderful voice?

A visit to La Piojera will not be complete without a glass of Terremoto. The Terremoto, which is Spanish for earthquake, is a very famous Chilean drink consisting of fermented white wine, pineapple ice cream, and liquor. It will only cost you around 2000 pesos, which is quite a deal. However, I must tell you to beware. People call this drink Terremoto because it shakes your world around. So, if you plan to continue your day after La Piojera, it would be wise to just order one glass. Trust me, I know.

La Piojera is indeed not for the faint of hearts, but if you are willing to step out of the tourist spots and look for the locals, stop by and grab a drink. I do have a few words of advice though. Going there on weekdays are better because it’s less crowded and chaotic at that time. For my lovely ladies, make sure to bring friends.

To be honest, La Piojera was a roller-coaster ride for me. I was pushed out of my comfort zone, but I’m glad I went in. It’s like what my Chilean friend said, “Not visiting La Piojera means not experiencing Santiago.”

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About adelbethanny


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.