Existing Member?

Explore.Dream.Discover 2012

Motorcycle diaries pt 2

LAOS | Wednesday, 25 April 2012 | Views [551]

Im wide awake. "You shouldn't have had that coffee" oresti has just said to me. He's probably right. It's only 23:17 here but that's late for us. The past few nights we have been so tired we've been asleep by21:30. Caffeine has completely left our system and having that cappuccino has put me into overdrive. "I think I want to be a postwoman" I told him while he was semi-conscious. There was no answer. Let's see if he remembers that in the morning. 3days ago we began part two of our motorcycle diary. We saw some amazing waterfalls and swam in them too. One of them had a drop of 100 meters and was so powerful. Oresti loved to swim in them and spent ages just looking at the falling water.  Local children played there and Buddhist monks bathed there. There was one waterfall that we went to see and were surprised when no water could be found flowing through it. The river had been cut off by a dam and so now the waterfall was nonexistant. If it wasn't for the dried up water marks on the cliff you would have never have known that it use to be a huge waterfall. What a shame. We spent the night in a bungalow made from wood which stood on stilts. Underneath was a pool of mosquito infested water, believe it or not we did not get bitten but oresti killed 2 huge cochroaches. One with a mini broom (very manly) and the other with his croc shoe. How i hate those shoes but atleast they came in handy for something.Which reminds me,  a few days ago i got dressed into my shorts and vest. After about a minute I felt something tickle my back. My eyes widdened. It couldn't be. In one quick movement i swept whatever was on my back into my hand and threw it away from me as hard and as fast as i could. A huge brown, dirty, stinky and disgusting cochroach landed on the curtain and sat there nonchalantly. I screamed and screamed and even cried!! How horrible it looked with its ugly head and monstrously long legs. That's my worst encounter yet. There have been 3 other times, once one crawled out of my handbag and walked on my hand, and the other two times they crawled out of my backpack. I've been keeping them zipped up since then.Oh yes our bike tour. We drove on some amazing roads with stunning scenery. We passed through coffee plantations and the beautiful smell of the coffee flowers made us dizzy. There were cows, chickens and goats on the roads ignoring us trying to pass them, and local school children waving hello and showing us their cheeky smiles.  "Saibadee", we'd shout out, meaning hello. But for some reason i have been getting confused lately and have been saying "chappatti". The worst one is when i say thank you. It's meant to be "cop chai' but i say "pak choi", the vegetable. I mean well. By the time i get the hang of it we'll be in a different country!!Tomorrow morning we are boarding a bus to Four Thousand Islands, south Laos. Our intention is to chillout before entering Cambodia. We have heard about a guesthouse on Don Det that is run by a British man and his Laos bride. He makes Sunday roast!! I hope he makes it on a Thursday and Friday too. Fingers crossed please. 00:05 Bloody cappuccino. 00:22 i can't wait for breakfast. Not because it's going to be amazing but because i'm feeling a little peckish. Bus station food where we are is pretty poor. The other day i could only find us a plain baguette with no filling. At another station however, we found delicious mango!! And bits of chicken on sticks. Let's hope we get lucky. Chances of a toasted ham, cheese and tomato sandwich? Slimmer than slim. I wonder whether if i dream about eating one, I'll feel like I actually did eat one?00:50 even processed cheese slices will do.

Tags: motorcycle diaries

 

About OandSoph


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.