Existing Member?

Loco for Lokum: on assignment inTurkey The lowdown on winning the 2011 World Nomads/Rough Guides Scholarship...

The End

TURKEY | Friday, 1 July 2011 | Views [2773]

After an epic 3-day journey, I have finally made back to Australia, my home for the time being. This will be my final post for a while as I undertake the mammoth task of sifting through my piles of notes and turning them into text worthy of the Rough Guides. Fingers crossed next time I write, I'll be on my way to being published.

I guess nows the time for one final gush about how incredible the whole trip was. Turkey, once just a point on the map that I might one day visit, has now been brought to life and I'm already planning to return next year (a 12 day horse trek through Cappadocia is sounding too good to pass up on!).

As for the travel writing part of the scholarship, well, it's been an educational and enlightening journey, cementing my desires to continue writing and pursue a career in travel writing. I've had the chance to sample what it's like to travel with a focus on finding a story, I've been challenged to write something readable every single day for this blog and, most excitingly, I had the opportunity to research and write for the Rough Guide to Istanbul, a task I am now pouring all my energy into completing.

Finally, I'd like to express an enormous thank you to everyone at the Rough Guides, World Nomads and BikeHike Adventures for putting together this trip and an extra special thanks to Terry Richardson for his advice, mentorship and good company throughout my Rough Guides assignment. 

About zoe_smith


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.