Existing Member?

Young Farmer in the States

Crystals are a girl's best friend!

USA | Sunday, 27 April 2014 | Views [78] | Scholarship Entry

So already this week we've discovered a few gems at the Butte Folk Festival where we were enjoyed acts such as the Polka Musicians and their lively violinists, the Spanish folk act and their dancers and the foot-tappingly good Latin American folk act.

My host sister Elizabeth and I even took the foot tapping a step further and left the boys at the side to go join the crowd on the dance floor! We had a great day and a better than great night (even if the ride home in the open convertible was a bit chilly!) Unfortunately, I couldn't get photos as I didn't have my memory card in my camera! Doh!

This week, we also traveled up to Crystal Park, Montana where the public are welcome to come and dig for crystals. I was more than dubious that we would leave with anything remotely shiny but I was soon proved wrong. The beautiful thing about the mountain is that the ground glistens with crystals. They are everywhere and the recent floods seemed to have brought many of the crystals and silt from higher ground down to the lower areas where we were digging. I'll never forget how stunning the whole scene was.

We found a large hole which someone else had abandoned and chipped away at the surrounding ground using our ag-spec shovels and spades and a DIY sieve.
Another highlight of my stay in Glen so far has been our trip to the open air cinema. We've been there twice already and I’d happily go again! There is something about the drive in which makes any other cinematic experience seem totally mundane.

Yesterday, I also toured Virginia City so I’ll try to post my pictures from the ghost town as soon as I can!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About youngfarmerabroad


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.