Existing Member?

The Courageous Globetrotter

Catching a Moment - No Need Drug

THAILAND | Tuesday, 9 April 2013 | Views [126] | Scholarship Entry

I could feel the daggering glower lay upon my face. There, only feet in front of me lay the windows to the soul shaped like two perfect globes. Irises a dull golden yellow fading to olive green surrounding black pupils like a pool of thick shiny tar. The piercing gaze I couldn’t tear away from, enclosed by a ring of jet-black like tattooed eyeliner.

The towering metal chain linked gate between us should have brought upon a sense of tranquility. Instead my cotton tee shirt was now soaked from the combination of anxious sweat and inescapable adhesive humid air nagging at my skin.

The uniformed man motioned his ready sign. My teetering thighs cautiously arise from the bench and I follow the young man inside. Swing. Jam. Click. The gates were locked behind me and I was now an amateur wrestler right before a rumble.

My only instinct and defense is to act like a statue and slowly turn and gawk in their direction in an attempt to not bother them. After careful surveillance I spot one that is alone and calmly sitting by itself. I cautiously tiptoe around the maze of low electrified wired fences to get closer.

Was I as intriguing to him as he was to me, or was I just a potential succulent dinner? This was his domain, his home and I the houseguest and lets hope an invited one rather then an intruder.

“Do not make eye contact whatever you do, do not make eye contact.” I whispered to myself.

I steadily sink into a squatting position and remain motionless. I daringly raise my trembling hand and lay it down upon the smooth thick surface. Each finger slowly stroking through the burnt orange and distinct black striped fur coat gliding right down to the tail.

Victory!

As I strolled through the exits doors I peered over at the crowd of fresh meat tourist as they anxiously queue in the lobby in the identical way I did earlier. “Another check off my buckle list” I thought to myself right before I let out a slight burst of laughter as I caught one last glimpse of the sign I read upon arrival.

“Tiger No Need Drug. All the tigers at Tiger Kingdom are born in human care.”

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About yojochia


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.