Existing Member?

Yound Dumb and No regrets goes Abroad

1 travel van, 4 people, 5 destinations, 10 days

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 28 April 2014 | Views [279] | Comments [4] | Scholarship Entry

We were work friends. Close but not best buds. One of them had a crazy idea that we should road trip to cairns in the time we had off from working in hospitality. This was extremely hard to achieve as hospitality requires that you work every hour of your life.
We were bound for freedom. After hiring a juicy van and 'winging' a potential road trip- we were on the road. The goal was to get to cairns and back in 10 days with multiple stop overs along the way. Bundaberg, rockhampton, townsville, the great barrier reef, cairns- average places that we were destined to make exclusive appearances.
Along the road we discovered that although we have grown up in this country- we had never really experienced it. Eating sugarcane from the side of the road- to getting our van broken into and all our belongings stolen in cairns- this roadtrip was something we were never going to forget.
We fought and spent way too much money, but it was still the most memorable time of my life. It was a time where i just went 'why not' lets do this.
We drove numerous hours of the day to experience the australian outback - something that i now can call 'home'.
After eating frozen foods and juice boxes and drinking jack daniels from the bottle- living life out of the back of a van seemed somehow comforting. I didnt need a house with a fridge full of food or a job which made me work more than i needed. All i needed were the basics and a great bunch of friends and life was complete.
Waking up and watching the sunrise and feeling the morning dew in townsville was the most glorious highlight. Looking over the cliff and seeing an ocean with an endless horizon was something that cost nothing but was worth more than a rolex.
Travelling on the road, losing everything i had and growing close with the people around me and sipping a few 'cold ones' at the end of a long drive made everything priceless. Sure i grew tired of port a loos and cheap sausages every night but i would do anything to have an experience like that again.
There is something about travelling somewhere unknown that captivates my eye and holds my heart. Its having the opportunity to write about real life travel adventures and be able to share it with the world- and to reach out to those and tell them about stories they have only read in magazines or seen in movies. Its sharing my travel adventures with those tied down with jobs and people who lack the motivation to travel, that makes journalism- worth it.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

Comments

1

was this scholarship made possible through your school?
your writing lacks depth and emotion. I feel no connection and you push no boundaries, it simply feels dry and uninteresting... the dim babbling of a middle class, suburbanized teenage girl, telling me something about living... no thank you

  anon Apr 29, 2014 11:48 PM

2

Thankyou for your criticism anonymous- however, being able to captivate an experience in the limited characters given is a challenge and i am sorry that my article was a failed attempt at reaching you in an emotional level for you. Hopefully this does not apply to the next reader.
However, with this being said, i am not telling you or forcing you to feel how i do and was definately not trying to tell you something about living. This was a personal experience and was written through my own personal experience.
Thankyou again for your comment. All feedback positive and negative takes critical affect on my work and benefits me either way.

  YDNR_OFFICIAL Apr 30, 2014 12:30 AM

3

Despite anon's comment, you still have one of the most read stories on here, so keep it up!

  Gabs May 3, 2014 9:41 PM

4

Anon doesn't know how to capitalise. Really they are in no position to critique.

  Mores May 4, 2014 9:04 AM

About ydnr_official_travels


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.