Existing Member?

Passionate for travel and adventure

A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective

INDIA | Monday, 18 March 2013 | Views [166] | Scholarship Entry

Jaipur was full of the hustle and bustle that so aptly describes any big Asian city. The streets packed with rich silks, leathers, spices, vibrancy and magnificence. Nonetheless, there was something which kept me on edge. Something which retained me from fully immersing myself into the buzz. The feeling that I was not safe, that I was soon to be the target of Indian trickery. Perhaps it was due to being a female blonde frantically marching the Indian street alone, on an urgent and fruitless hunt for a Western Union.

But as anticipated a local man abruptly emerged from the crowd and was adamant in helping, too much so. After politely rejecting his offer, he stated that all Westerners think badly of Indians, they think Indian kindness is fuelled only by ulterior motive. So I reluctantly accepted his help, simply to disprove that not every Westerner was so cynical, and he informed me that the only way to exchange money at that time was on the black market.

Taking a deep breath of the sweaty Jaipur air, I followed him down a maze of back alleys. Crowded, twisting, narrow, dirt lanes. We arrived at our destination, not the black market as I was expecting, but rather a tiny artists shop.

The room only big enough for two, he invited me in and asked me for my money, which I aversely gave. There was no going back, I had committed myself and could only hope that this helpful Indian was genuine. He passed my money to another stranger and I could only wait.

We sat on bright, embroidered cushions facing one another. Chai arrived in an elegant, silver teapot. I was fascinated by the paintings that filled every inch of the room. I asked him if he was the artist and he was. He eloquently told me stories of how he sits in the cities doorways, painting both the chaos and peace around him, admiring the beauty of his vibrant home. He desired to capture the cities spirit so its magic could be shared. Our conversation shifted to his life and he told me of his home, his wife, his children, his friends..

An hour passed and my money miraculously returned. All exchanged, all sorted, no problems. I said my farewell to my new Indian friend. I left with an invite into his home, a striking painting and a restored faith in the integrity of the Indians.

Whilst walking back through the narrow lanes, I admired the cities beauty. The red sun fell onto the pink walls of Jaipur, and the golden light illuminated the smiling faces of those who passed me. It truly was a magnificent place.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About yasmine


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.