- David Rodwell & Family Circa 1880
Percydale, Victoria, Australia
Pictures kindly obtained/supplied by Tom Roberts,
a direct descendant of David Cornelius Rodwell.
David Cornelius Rodwell was the son of emancipated English convicts David Rodwell & Rosina Hammond. The older David Rodwell arrived in Australia at Old Hobart Town, Tasmania (Van Diemen's Land) in 1838. The grave of his son, David Cornelius Rodwell, along with various others belonging to OUR ancestors, can be found at Avoca Cemetery in Avoca, central Victoria, Australia. The township of Percydale is very near Avoca.
Avoca & District Historical Society Inc. http://home.vicnet.net.au/~adhs/ADHSMain.htm
Avoca is located 71kms northwest of Ballarat in the heart of the Pyrenees Shire of central west Victoria, Australia. The town's rich gold mining history places it in the centre of the Golden Triangle. Daily buses provide access between Avoca & Ballarat.
Gold was first found in Victoria in 1849 in the Pyrenees Ranges near Avoca. In 1851, the first discovery of importance took place at Clunes, 40kms away from present-day Avoca, setting off a gold rush to the region. By the beginning of December 1853, the population had increased from 100 to 2,000. By June the following year, Avoca with a population of 16,000 was regarded as one of Victoria's more important gold rush districts.
DAVID CORNELIUS RODWELL was born 11 August 1848 at Clarence Plains in Tasmania, Australia:
* He was the son of David Rodwell (from Salisbury Wiltshire England - born 1819)
* David Cornelius Rodwell moved from Tasmania to Victoria on the main land of Australia, presumably in search of gold
* David Cornelius Rodwell married Mary Ann Curnick (aka Curniell) at Avoca Victoria on 23 May 1870 (Mary born 1854 Bradford Wiltshire England)
* David Cornelius Rodwell & wife Mary Ann had twelve (12) children
* DCR is the father of Samuel Richard Rodwell (1883-1937)(Born at Percydale Victoria)
* Grandfather of Stephen David Cornelius Rodwell (1908-1985) (Born Jumbunna Victoria)
* Great grandfather of David Richard Rodwell (1929-1990)(Born Charbon via Lithgow NSW)
* Great great grandfather of Warren Richard Rodwell (Born Sydney NSW Australia)