Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Tonga

TONGA | Thursday, 18 April 2019 | Views [218]

Welcome to Tonga

Welcome to Tonga

IT’S 1000 NAUTICAL MILES FROM AUCKLAND TO TONGA.  For the non-seafaring — and that would include yours truly —a nautical mile is one minute (1/60th of a degree) of latitude or 1.15 statute miles.  All of this is mox nix when the last third of the voyage is on rough seas, however.

n

  The Royal Palace

I was still suffering from jet-lag and/or mal-de-mer yesterday when we docked at Nuku’alofa, Tonga but dogedly followed Connie to explore the island.  The main attraction for most visitors is the 1867 Royal Palace, closed to the public today.

n     b

 Hands-on Science                             Cool Dudes of Tonga

Naturally, we walked along the shoreline searching out new birds.  We saw several new species and ran into a high-school biology class alternately studying the mudflats and mugging for us.  Kids will be kids, no matter where they live.

nn     bb

   Black Noddy                                 Wandering Tattler

It seems that Nuku’alofa is one of the few ports where we can actually dock.  Mostly, like here in Vava’u we have to take a tender to shore.  “Independents” like us have to be ready very early or wait for those with shore excursions to board; returning to the ship is first-come.

nn

    Crimson-crowned Fruit Dove

We got an early start and followed a shop-owner’s directions to continue “up, up, up” to Mt. Talau National Park.  Well, we didn’t actually do the final “up” on the steep, slimy steps, but we did see several new and colorful birds.  We also enjoyed the brass band on the pier, especially a rarely heard solo on the baritone horn, Connie’s old instrument.

Tags: cruising french polynesia

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tonga

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.