Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Cruisin' the Caribbean

BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS | Monday, 12 December 2016 | Views [267]

Serenade of the Seas, St. Maarten

Serenade of the Seas, St. Maarten

NOT WITHOUT DIFFICULTY, we managed to coordinate (a) insurance covered RV repairs, (b)  warranteed maintenance on the truck with (c) a Caribbean cruise from Ft. Lauderdale, saving us RV storage fees and long-term parking.  Sometimes things work out.  Twice we have taken trans-Atlantic cruises — a leisurely and inexpensive way to get to Europe — and once a “normal” cruise along the coast of Norway.  But this would be our first experience with the Caribbean.

The stops — Tortola BVI, St. Kitts, Dominica, Antigua and St. Maarten — would be new countries for us, though we didn’t get any passport stamps.  The big draw for most passengers is shopping, a floating Home Shopping Network.  Each day the cruise director would furnish guests with a map of “approved” shops with bargains galore — and kickbacks to the cruise line.  And for those who didn’t get enough on shore, there were jewelry, watches and art for sale onboard.  We skipped the shore excursions, heading out on our own to national parks, World Heritage sites and such, always on the lookout for new birds.  Only St. Maarten felt like my idea of a tropical island.  But a cruise is what you do in Florida, no? 

nn

 

  Lake Ockechobee sunset

Our truck was waiting for us when we returned to Ft. Lauderdale and RV was “almost” ready.  After a shaky start, the Yacht Haven RV Resort/Marina was wonderful but I had trouble finding anyplace in Ft. Lauderdale that I remembered from my business trips in the 80s.  Still it was nice to be back on dry land and touch base with Kent, another friend and one of our loyal readers.

 

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about British Virgin Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.