Existing Member?

Experiences of a foreing exchange student in USA

Exchange Year Program-How did I end up here?

USA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [177] | Scholarship Entry

It was a sunny and warm day of 16th of August when I first arrived at Alabama in the United States of America. I found myself surrounded by many people in the Huntsville Airport; when suddenly I saw a big poster labeling Arvesa and a blonde lady holding it up. I recognized her- which gave me a feeling of release, I went up to her and hugged her tightly, it was my host mother. We walked together outside and went home afterwards. I made it now everything is going to be easy I thought. Later on that day, we went home and I unpacked everything. My host mom told me to get some rest, but gosh I had this strange feeling inside. For a moment I took the map and I looked at how big United States of America was and I suddenly said - How did I end up here?. Our program prepared us so well but yet I feel like I am in the middle of nowhere. I could not get any rest at all I though maybe I should go for a walk outside. I stepped out the door and the sun was still shining, the ice cream I was holding was already melting in my tiny fingers that were enclosed together due to the stress I felt inside. I grabbed a tissue and I walked outside the home. Looking at the architecture, the nature beauty of the houses I forgot where I actually was and I noticed the stress was already gone. I was so impressed, my host mom kept talking about all kinds of flowers she was planting before I came here and I barely listened to her, I was just so interested on the beautiful view I head in front. People were running on the neighborhood and some were walking their pets. Each one of them greeted us ''Hi there'' or ''Hi y'all'' -on that south accent (which I quickly got). Everybody was so friendly and cheerful, I love this place I said !!! As we were going back home one of the neighbors showed up and said : So you must be that exchange student, Adversa. I laughed and said : It is Arvesa sir and yes I am the foreign exchange student from Kosovo. He started to ask me lots of different questions about my country which I answered pretty well. After that, I went home and got some rest but still while I was trying to sleep my mind was just constantly working. I asked myself Where am I? Who are these people? What am I doing here?. The time zone also played a role since it was 8 hours after the time zone in my country. The next day I had to go to school and I had a wonderful time meeting all these new people and experiencing how it is like to be an foreign exchange student in USA.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About usa2013


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.