Existing Member?

Urban Roaming and Beyond

Catching a Moment - A Journey Through Movie Theaters

PHILIPPINES | Monday, 15 April 2013 | Views [198] | Scholarship Entry

The streets of Manila were mostly empty that day when I made that journey, the way things should be on this part of the world in which the Catholics and other Christian groups commemorate Good Friday.

Without the maddening crowd and the jam of vehicles that is a usual sight in this part of the city, I embarked on my personal journey of the city's downtown as I traced my steps of the walks I was wont to do when I was younger. But more than for reminiscing, it was a journey of re-appreciation of the landmarks I used to take for granted in my youth, particularly the movie theaters in the area that shaped my consciousness in those formative years.

I walk from one point to the next as I scour on my notes and the recesses of my memory, trying to form a mental picture in my head as to what things were the way I remembered them to be. At the same time, the knowledge I have gained over the years made me better appreciate the details I overlooked or did not appreciate before. From the intricate bas relief sculptures of Capitol Theater, the columns of Life Theater that makes it look like a Greco-Roman temple or something, to the playful Art Deco-inspired geometric design of Scala which quickly became my personal favorite.

Then there are those large, bold letters that make up the signage of these theaters. In an era when we tend to favor modern methods like doing signage in tarpaulins, there is still that retro charm and vibe seeing these signages in their old neon-lighted glory. Unfortunately, since many of these theaters are no longer in operation or due to the expense of maintaining such signage these days, one can no longer these signs light up the downtown atmosphere at night. Such a shame really if one can imagine how the downtown streets would be with those vintage neon signs lighting your way.

Looking at the condition of these theaters today is enough to make one sigh in frustration and sadness as how can such gems be left in such decrepit stage, virtually ignored in the midst of urbanization and decay that has hit the city hard in recent years. I can only conjure mental images as to how nice they were in their heyday. Sadly one can only rely now on oral stories and vintage photographs bereft of the actual experience to fully appreciate their charm.

But in the midst of all this heartbreak, somehow I feel hopeful still that they get a new lease of life in a way, thanks to people who will get to appreciate them anew.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About urbanroamer


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.