Existing Member?

Life is a Journey

Crossing South Lines

SOUTH AFRICA | Friday, 18 April 2014 | Views [162] | Scholarship Entry

As a travel lover and an adventuress, I have always had this questionable feeling of uncertainty i.e. uncertain about exploring experience from every thread of every journey. It’s like falling in love for the first time, having that magical impulse that you made a right choice but completely unaware of what you are getting into. This is how the story goes.

"As I packed the remaining clothes in the bag, all set for my vacation to South Africa

Inside the plane, exactly 10:15pm; I buckled up on my seat and pray to the heavens, sweating profusely. I could feel my intestine rumbling like they are gathering to a feast. Oh yes, anyone could tell I was scared of flying. So I slept off instead during most of the journey after i took a shot of tequila to calm my nervous wreck.

As the pilot announces that in 15 minutes, the plane will hit down in O.R Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg, my heart flipped. I couldn’t contain my excitement. I checked my breath. Horrible! So I dipped my hand in my purse and fished out my bubble gum and put it in my mouth, the menthol salvaging my salty tongue. Oh Gosh! Just as I stepped out of the plane I was greeted by the cold breeze flushing at my face sending this unbearable chill down my spine.

I visited exciting tourist places in Johannesburg, the West Cliff View, Nelson Mandela Bridge, Museum Africa, Mary Fitzgerald Square, Newtown, the Carlton Center, the Constitution Hill and others; these are the streets reliving South African dream in highlights of Johannesburg. I enjoyed every bit of my visits that if am to write every details of each visit, i would write a library.

But that was the fun part, the dreadful part came crawling like a thief in the night when i was first robbed at gunpoint by a Zimbabwean guy in broad daylight right there at that traffic light post. He stole my BB phone and $1200 i had with me at the time. I knew it was time for me to go back to Nigeria.

Now i know why they said "North, South, East and West, there is no place like home"... But nevertheless, it was a great adventure.

And if anyone ask me if i should do it all over again or go on another adventure? I would say yes! After all, LIFE IS A JOURNEY!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About trodden


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.