Existing Member?

One City at a Time

White Day (and the 14th of every month)

SOUTH KOREA | Sunday, 14 March 2010 | Views [11406] | Comments [8]

Days before the 14th of February, 2010, I asked my husband if he was planning to give me anything for Valentine's Day. My husband laughed and said, "on Feb. 14, girls give guys gifts, not the other way around."

I was surprised at his reaction and asked him to explain further. He just laughed and said, "you're in Korea now, my dear. Here in Korea, girls give the guys they care for some chocolates or sweets. Guys, in turn, return their love (if there's any) on March 14. Either that or they give sweets to the girls they actually like. Those who don't get any gifts on either dates are supposed to eat jajangmien (black noodles) together on April 14th." April 14, also known as "Black Day", is the day for the those who are still yet to meet their true loves :-)


Capitalistic! Haha, as my classmate describes these holidays (which aren't limited to just these three months!) But anyway, last Friday my students gave me some candies to celebrate White Day. I hadn't known that March 14 was called "White Day" before until several days before when they asked me what I was planning on that day. My ignorance of this celebration astonished my students, and they suddenly started speaking to each other in Korean and then smiled at me. "Never mind teacher," they said.

Still, even though their teacher was ignorant enough to know about this, they were still thoughtful enough to give me candies. But I felt that this tradition was a bit strange, so I decided to do some more research on it. And I found out that this "White Day" is actually a strategy made by sweet producers to further promote their products. On the 14th of every month of a year there's bound to be a celebration that's related to love in some way. To further explain my statement, below are the celebrations that take place on the 14th of each month:


January 14 is Candle Day.
February 14
is Valentine's Day (a day which girls give chocolates or sweets to the boys they like).
March 14 is White Day. On this day, boys are supposed to give girls that they like some sweets (other than chocolates, although I don't know if this is still practiced today after seeing so many chocolates on sale with the words White Day taped across its covers in the local supermarket).
April 14 is known as Black Day. You'll know on March 15 whether or not you can celebrate Black Day. This day is for those individuals who had not received a single gift from anyone on either Valentine's or White Day, and they therefore gather together to eat jajangmien or black noodles.
May 14 is known as Rose Day.
June 14
is known as Kiss Day.
July 14
is known as Silver Day.
August 14
is known as Green Day.
September 14
is known as Music Day.
October 14
is known as Wine Day.
November 14
is known as Movie Day.
December 14
is known as Hug Day.I can't deny that Korea seems to have quite a lot of celebrations (for capitalistic reasons, I believe) but hey, maybe it's not such a bad thing. At least this way, everyone can have a reason to be extra happy and spend time with their loved ones especially on the 14th of every month. :-)

Have a good morning, and happy White Day to all!

Tags: korea, korea traditions, white day

Comments

1

When the single ppl eat jajangmyeon together is April 14th..! correction please~! It's called Black day.

  Hello Mar 15, 2010 2:32 AM

2

Hey there, you're absolutely right! Sorry about that, a mistype :-)
I'm about to change it. Thank you very much! :-)

  Jackie Mar 15, 2010 1:56 PM

3

All these celebration in Korea ONLY?

  prue Mar 15, 2010 5:11 PM

4

All these celebration in Korea ONLY?

  prue Mar 15, 2010 6:48 PM

5

Hey there!
Oh, I'm honestly not quite sure. But I just posted up stuff I've experienced here in South Korea, and my friend says that Japan also celebrates White Day :-)

  traveling_raccoon Mar 15, 2010 11:03 PM

6

Actually White Day was originate from Korea or Japan I'm not sure
So far the most known world wide is 14 Feb
For those who want more romantic or planning of any celebration will look out and found there's different celebration monthly
So far before this I just get to know 14 Feb & Chinese Valentines on 15th day of Chinese New Year. The rest was know recently
The full list get to know here from this blog

  prue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 PM

7

Haha, I agree. :-) Thank you for your comments :-)

  traveling_raccoon Mar 18, 2010 1:10 AM

8

Thank

  San Pyae Sone Htun Feb 20, 2012 3:31 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.