Existing Member?

A Journey To One's True Self

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 22 April 2012 | Views [159] | Scholarship Entry

We make our way out of the Monkey Forest in Ubud, rich with memories and photos, deprived of all the bananas, our T-shirts bearing the monkeys’ muddy fingerprints. It’s time to start exploring Bali.
A few taxi drivers have gathered at the park’s exit. We are approached by one of them – a short, good looking guy in his mid-thirties, with black hair tied in a ponytail. His arms and lower legs are covered in tattoos. He gives us the warmest smile and offers to show us around. Little do we know that for the next week Nyoman will become our guide to Bali’s popular tourist spots and hidden beauties, our chief negotiator at the local markets, even our sponsor when we run out of cash. But above all – our friend.
He will treat Maria and me to some martabak – a delicious meat and vegetable pastry bought from a roadside stall. He will get up at 3 am to take us down a winding road to see the incredible show dolphins put at sunrise in the ocean off Lovina. His car will become our mobile home where we eat, nap and change. We’ll go back to the hotel only for a quick night’s rest, as each day brings new adventures.
And not once will he complain or get upset at anything or anyone. He explains us that the Balinese believe in the concept of Tat Twam Asi which translates loosely as “I am you and you are me”. Perhaps this amazing sense of togetherness makes them the most kind-hearted, shiny and welcoming people I’ve ever met. They give you so much that you want to give something back.
One day we ask Nyoman what his dreams are. He replies that his greatest desire is to be able to continue his son’s education and eventually see him become a lawyer. “It will make me very proud”, he says.
I realize it sounds like an Elizabeth Gilbert rip-off but at this moment an idea is born. We don’t tell Nyoman but we’ll start raising money to help his son finish school.
And we promise ourselves to come back. We hear a local charity is looking for English teachers for the next summer. It’s decided, then.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About svilengeorgiev

Going dolphin watching at sunrise in the ocean near Lovina

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.