Existing Member?

Uruguay al plato

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 5 March 2012 | Views [151] | Scholarship Entry

I’m an eater.I’m an eater who loves to travel.I’ve been to 21 countries and savored delicacies like garlic-smothered L’Escargot á Paris,pursued the tastiest of spicy Pho Bo’s that Vietnam has to offer,and dined upon the finest Green-Lipped Mussels in all New Zealand.However,in my opinion,the best meal ever constructed is the colossal Uruguayan Chivito al plato.
This plate incorporates everything you would find in your fridge at home and can easily be put together in the space of 10 minutes.In fact,the story behind its simplicity and composition is that a foreign woman walked asked for goat at a restaurant.The chef had no goat and decided that he would take a thin slice of beef and cover it with everything that he had at his disposal.The result was the Chivito al plato-tender beef,topped with smoky ham and a crispy but runny fried egg,surrounded by crunchy lettuce,juicy tomato and grated mozzarella.Any other ingredients that you request can complement this food-mountain,a Uruguayan favourite.My personal preference includes potato doused in fiery chili oil.
What is it that makes this dish truly unique?Unlike the numerous other meals that I’ve been recommended to eat around the world,this is the first that didn’t seem clichéd.What made this feast so special was the fact that it wasn’t special at all.I consumed this delicious array of casualness over many beers with my best friends at a pub in Punta del Este.It wasn’t extravagant.It wasn’t surrounded by hype.It was just delicious.I didn’t feel like I needed to be sitting by le Seine ogling le Tour Eiffel,nor gazing upon silent giants at Milford Sounds to enjoy the Chivito al plato to its fullest.
For me,this wonderful spread exemplifies everything that I cherish from my trip to Uruguay.Uruguay is the peaceful and unobtrusive nation that offers itself to be enjoyed.It’s fulfilling,welcoming and it embodies the most wonderful variety of flavours without the typical South-American fanfare,just like the Chivito al plato.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About struantodd1


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.