Existing Member?

Where is Stephanie?

Another Roadside Attraction

USA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [90] | Scholarship Entry

Having no set plans when traveling can go two ways: you end up finding random fun things to do or you waste time trying to find random fun things to do. I have to admit I've had my share of the latter but my summer camping trip was an exception. My best friend Dana and I decided to go to Mariposa, California during Labor Day weekend 2012. We had two days, the open road, and no expectations. This was the perfect sandwich for the high intensity trip to New Orleans, LA and the highly anticipated month long excursion to Paris, France.
Our random fun things to do started with a melodrama put on by the O.K. Corral on our way to the hotel. With a full bar and an invitation to yell out at the stage, it was probably one of the most uninhibited experiences of my life, and the opportunity to see local talent shine. The Mariposa County Fair was the next stop. Literally! Down the HWY 41 we could see the florescent lights burning in the sky and the smell of fried dough looming in the distance. Though the majority of the other ferris wheel riders and gold fish winners were still in high school, it was a sweet throwback to youth and a simpler time.
The next day we decided to work off all the fried food at the Mountain Yoga Studio. As someone who has been practicing yoga since time immemorial, I could barely keep up with the amazing Gail White-Stickles, owner and teacher. It was also a nice break from the hustle and bustle of traveling and to inwardly reflect.
With only a few hours left before the inevitable ride back to work, school, and responsibility we decided to drive around. With the aimless wandering we found the Sugar Pine Cafe, a truly classic Americana establishment from comfort food to the diner aesthetic, complete with world famous pie.
With a final drive to Bass Lake, we found an abandoned water slide leading right for the open waters. While safety was the first thing on our mind, after inspection and testing it was perfectly safe, and more important fun. A great end of the trip.
Though there is an entire world out there and I intend of visiting most of it, this trip was special to me because California is still a magical place for those of us who live here. We are still discovering new worlds in our own backyards.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About stephaniechristine


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.