Existing Member?

Round the world trip

Singapore

SINGAPORE | Thursday, 8 May 2008 | Views [447]

There was a promotional video for Singapore on the plane highlighting shopping as the country's favourite past time; so we're trying to adhere to that as much as possible! With 38 shopping malls on one road alone, each with 5 levels or more, it's hard to avoid.  Add to that the heat here (33 degrees), and the lure of the cool, air-conditioned malls; even the most reluctant man will want to shop all day!

We're staying on the outskirts of Little India, where the streets can be crazy and chaotic at times, but the temples are beautiful, colourful and ornate. We took a river cruise through the heart of the city; it was nice to be able to see the combination of old and new buildings, along with the infamous Merlion.

Our favourite area is Chinatown; the streets are decorated and the atmosphere is wonderful. We visited the fantastic 'Buddha Tooth Relic Temple' and were lucky enough to witness the celebrations of a buddha's birthday; it was really spectacular!

The culture difference is most notable in the food courts here, where everything comes with either rice or noodles.  We're certainly getting lots of chopstick practice before we fly to Japan tomorrow!

About soph804


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.