Existing Member?

Crust & Crumbs

Medieval Party

ESTONIA | Tuesday, 13 May 2014 | Views [169] | Scholarship Entry

Saturday morning and finally with my partner we decided to don't spend the day in Helsinki. We jumped on the ferry and landed in Tallinn. Once in the city center we walked to the "old town", I was really excited it was the first time i visited an European country that it was not Finland. I heard many people talking about Tallinn, so I created ideas and images in my head. Hopefully for me, the reality was far much better than what I thought, I arrived to the gates of the old town, with a large flower's market, my surprise was getting bigger while walking down inside the walls, such an amazing medieval style, cafes, restaurants, souvenir's stores with a lot of nice hand made goods. jewelry stores where the amber was the star. The presence of the Russian legacy is something easy to see in Tallinn with their food and Matryoshka dolls. I kept walking, even when it was hard to assimilate so much beauty. Then we found an arrows stand, my partner asked me if i wanted to try, "lets do it, doesn't look complicated" big mistake, you really need to have practice and a strong arm to do it. After my failed Robin Hood performance we went to medieval little tavern in the town hall square, lovely soup, cakes and home made wine, but...I have had to sing to get a spoon to eat my soup. She was a big lady wearing medieval clothes, when i asked for the spoon she said "where are you from?" after saying i was Argentinian, she told me "ok i give you the spoon if you sing Don't cry for me Argentina" I didn't even know the lyrics, I sang two words, took the spoon and run all blushed. that was not the last time, last year i had to sing for a free pint in Ireland. the night was coming and the party spirit started to take the streets of the old town. young Finnish people who also decided to take a break over there. and then one of those bicycle taxis with two drunk guys with a music player singing "Ale Ale Alejandro", couldn't stop laughing after seen that, for our surprise we found a group of English men celebrating a bachelor party wearing oompa loompas disguises, the party mood was contagious, so we ended up the day in a pub with a beer and singing with a lot of strangers while a band played "knocking on heaven door"

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About snorkelin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Estonia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.