Existing Member?

Amazonian storm

Catching a Moment - The river in a storm

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 16 April 2013 | Views [142] | Scholarship Entry

As the rain picks up there is a flash from a single, large, white thunderbolt separating the air space. I move my earrings and any other metal from visibility into my pockets. The rain pelts hitting the water harder challenging the immense sound of nature, being a combination of various bird songs and noisy insects.

Scanning the river through the rain and squinted eyes I notice less shy pink and grey dolphins occasionally waving a fin. But more bird flights and monkeys hastily jumping between trees at the edges of the river engulfed by the vast jungle.

What appears to be small green shrubs and strayed branches are actually tree tops stemming from the river bed signalling the depth of the river. I wonder what is the height of the underwater trees; perhaps 30, 50 or 80 feet and all guesses minuscule my 6 foot self. I'm curious of the activity beneath but I cannot see beyond 10 centimetres into the warm, dark waters of the river Juma.

I am chilled from the damp of my clothes and have goose bumps on my arms. My wet face looks above to see a grey mist filled sky similar to how I usually see it at home but my current environment is opposed to London. I feel distant, peaceful and notably still as the small floating boat I'm sat on bobbles in the middle of this huge river. As I listen to the rain droplets hitting the waters' surface I compare life to a storm and nature to life. No weather lasts forever, the storm will pass, life changes and is cyclical. The words of my unwritten, rhythmic poem run through my mind with connotations transforming from bleak to bright.

A long rumble of thunder returns my attention to the density of thousands of trees, overpowering landscape and captivity of the Amazon rainforest. The boat rocks as my guide, Matius starts the engine. Hearing the hum of the speed boat transcends my senses of tranquillity, humbleness, fear, inquisitiveness and appreciation to excitement, gratefulness and wonder of what is to come.

We are moving along the river in the storm and I feel grateful for all that is. I enjoy the unknown and marvel at my unanswered questions. Where next? Will we fish for dinner? Or piranhas maybe?

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About slg_7


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.