Existing Member?

Biting South East Asia

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [128] | Scholarship Entry

I will never forget my first trip to China. I was travelling around Yunnan Province with my Chinese friend, when we went to Stone City - a small village in the middle of nowhere. It is really hard to get there, as there is no public bus, so we have to hitchhike and walk on foot. After whole day, when we finally arrive to the village local people from Naxi minority immediately ask us to take rest and they started preparing a dinner for us! They have made 15 different dishes plus some local drinks. They join us, or it is better to say, that we join them and for the next few hours we were talking like old, good friends. That time we were the only tourist in Stone City and the Naxi people were so kind for us - the next day many of them were inviting us to their houses just for having a cup of tea with them and talk a little bit. They were so curious about us and we were so curious about them! That was an amazing experience, totally priceless.

The second scene I will always remember happened to me in France. I have stopped in Mende for one day - not very popular place for tourists. It is a small town like many others, with beautiful streets, full of nooks. It was a chilli morning in the beginning of spring, so most of people’s faces were sad and tired, but suddenly I saw a middle age woman smiling, running out of bakery almost dancing and hopping. She must saw my surprise, because she stopped and showed me a big round loaf of fresh bread and then she smiled again and run away ... Incredible how simple thing can make You happy, doesn't it?

Since then, I realise that to understand another culture I must try it, taste it and bite it! I know that food is a very important part of culture, because it always goes with people’s hospitality and shows the people’s heart - it doesn’t really matter if You are in a small village in Europe or Asia or in any other place in the world. People are the same everywhere - ready to show their heart, You just have to join them!

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About sleepyhead


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.