Existing Member?

The Kingdom of Cambodia A journey through a world of Genocides, History and the land of Buddha

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

VANUATU | Tuesday, 22 March 2011 | Views [239] | Scholarship Entry



I could think of plenty worse things to do in a day than snorkelling above World War 2 shipwrecks on the island of Santo in Vanuatu. Relaxing on a deserted beach at this historical underwater wonderland, a friendly man named Farah approached my friend and I to welcome us to his part of the world. On offer of a tour of his village, I gratefully accepted his invitation. Farah showed me how his people live and why Vanuatu residents are said to be the most happiest people on Earth. Why? People drink Cava every night at one of the hundreds of Nakama bars found throughout the country. Cava; a ground root and water concoction has the effect of numbing the body when consumed. This allows a person to sit back, relax and stare at things like the wind flowing through the leaves in the trees and the moon shimmering reflected light from the sun. It is said to be a great relief of stress from a hard days work. It is definitely not my favourite thing in the world; it tastes rather horrid to be honest and even made me hurl my dinner up from the bottom of my stomach. The greater majority of island people however live their lives by it.

Farah prepared fresh locally grown tobacco, coconut and papaya for me to try. He also showed me how he catches dinner. Standing with spear in hand, Farah announces, "there is big fish in water over there." "How can you see that?" I asked. "I no see it, I sense it!" Farah proclaimed. I laughed and thought this joker had obviously drank way too much Cava in his lifetime! Farah hurls his spear across the water in one mighty throw. SPLASH! "Gotcha," he yells in an excited burst! He runs across the coral to the spear; God knows how he did not cut his feet! And sure enough he pulls the spear up to reveal a fish about 50cm long. "Come with me we go cook lunch now!" Farah says. In shock and amazement I follow Farah up to his village where he prepares the most delicious fish I have ever had the opportunity to feast on.

Vanuatu means 'the land that always existed'. It is easy to see why this country came up with its name, being home to many active and extinct volcanoes. The archipelago that is Vanuatu was formed by these massive port holes to the earths centre. It is home to some of the worlds best beef, snorkelling, diving and secluded beaches. Don't expect to see much night life or many other tourists apart from at the many casinos found around the place. I would have to say by observation that these casinos are one of the biggest income points for Vanuatu. It is a beautiful part of the world if you are adventurous; otherwise you will find Vanuatu very quiet and un-entertaining. SO GET AMONGST IT!!!

Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

About shepherd


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vanuatu

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.