Existing Member?

Chopsticks

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [99] | Scholarship Entry

The Chinese problem-solving approach or how I learnt to use chopsticks
I was a student in the Netherlands when at the end of my first year I applied and became an English teacher who helped newly arrived Chinese students. Chan was one of them. He was a complete antipode of the rest – easy-going, sociable and direct. Once, I was invited by my students for a dinner in their dormitory. While waiting for the meal to be ready, Chan appeared in the room and greeted everyone. He sat next to me. He was cheerful that night, talking about many things, including sports. Suddenly, I heard someone yelling that the meal would be ready soon. In a moment, everything around froze–I realized that the only utensils provided were chopsticks - gadgets I had never used in my life until that night. I was horrified because I was incapable to align with the way of life of the rest. Chan quickly sensed my mood and asked me whether I knew how to use chopsticks. I replied negatively. I tried to teach myself how to use the wooden sticks, but in vain which made me feel even worse. Witnessing that, Chan told me to leave the sticks down and continue our talk. So we did. Before I could realize, I was using the chopsticks with ease–taking bite after bite, carefully placing them in my mouth. I realized that Chan applied his approach to teaching by making me temporarily forget the problem at hand. Everything else afterwards came naturally-being hungry and subconsciously trying to feed myself with whatever was available. The Chinese approach is: ‘do your best finding the solution individually. If you are unsuccessful, leave it for a while, clear your mind and come back to it as a fresh start’. I will always remember Chan and the lesson he gave me. It was a lesson which made me understand the Chinese culture and problem-solving approach through food. The best part of this experience was that I paved my own way to success; I reached the aim on my own, while following the lead of a friend.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About shemet


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.