Existing Member?

Shazza's Escapades Light hearted look at my travel escapades

Uruguay

URUGUAY | Tuesday, 10 August 2010 | Views [305]

Arrived in Colonia, Uruguay by ferry from Buenos Aires. A complete difference between the Argentinean side of the port to the Uruguayan side, we know which country is poor; the port was a complete dump. Colonia is a beautiful little old town. A perfect intro to the country although still a little chilly. As usual I explored the town until sunset which I watched from the pier. It was awesome but the smell of dead fish was a bit overwhelming. Don’t get me wrong I know I was on the pier and was bound to smell it but the whole town smelled of dead fish. In fact not sure what was
wrong with the sea but dead fish just floating all over the place. But the sunset was lovely until I realised I was freezing my bits off. God it got cold as soon as the sun went away. Then the group went to dinner, my first with the group. Always disappointing this bit, I don’t have much in common with many of them and all the younger girls want to do is get drunk. I guess when you’re in your 20s that’s what fun is. I remember those days. There are couple in my age group but I kind of keep myself to myself unless invited and even then I usually decline. I’m just not that sociable anymore maybe...but then again I’ve joined groups where it’s been great fun and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed myself. Maybe it’s not the age thing more of a personality thing...really not much in common with any of them. Oh well these things are a bit hit and miss and possibly this is my miss but its still early days yet. Plus the weather is pretty pants too...still cold.

 

Took a 3 hour drive to Montevideo...what a disappointment. What a
rubbish city, even the old town wasn’t impressive. Again with
the dog poop, the streets are covered in it. One street was practically impassable. Another crummy city to add to the list. Plus the following day it rained which made the city look even more depressing. Luckily I found the best little pastry shop and ate my weight in cakes.

All I know and learnt about Uruguay is that Diego Forlan was God. They played all their world cup matches in all the bars, tv shops and anywhere else they had a tv. Posters of him all over the place, you couldn’t go anywhere without seeing his beautiful face.Just before we got to IguassuFalls we had a night in Salto which is a thermal baths town with a spa but the weather had made me so miserable I refused to join in and had a sulk for the afternoon. Really didn’t fancy spending my time in a steamy spa with people I just met. Instead I froze my butt off in the hotel who doesn’t believe in heating their reception area as the town was tiny with nothing else to do. The night bus to the falls was another 6 hours away and I thought I might just possibly die of hypothermia by then.
Luckily for me I didn’t and my journey continued to
Brazil where I hoped it would be warmer.

 

 

About shaz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Uruguay

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.