Existing Member?

Cholistani Culture

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - Journey in an Unknown Culture

INDIA | Monday, 21 March 2011 | Views [322] | Scholarship Entry

Indus valley civilization is known for its specific culture in all over the world. It is distinctive feature of this civilization that it has Pre-Harappan, Mature Harappan, and Late-Harappan culture. These periods are determined through the study of objects, found from different sites. It is amazingly observed that there are some territories which have been identified by some archaeologists regarding their past culture and still these territories continue with same traditions which, even, existed in 3500 B.C. Cholistan is one of them. Once I had a chance to travel Cholistan. It is basically situated in the southern side of Punjab Province, Pakistan. It is known as Seraiki belt having different way of living, different languages and different cultural aspects. It is due to cultural diversity that Cholistani Culture gets whole of climax of ''Rohi'' way of living. I found that the indigenous people of this region are facing tough criteria of life,even no rain expectations throughout the years. After entering Cholistan we have lost our hopes to live more. I arranged my own vehicle and started my journey from dawn and completed this hard journey in 8 hours. It is very fabulous to ponder over the climate of Cholistan. Now I am in the valley of sand. As far as the nomenclature of Cholistan is concern, it is Turkish language word ''Choulna'' means desert. Here, there is sand everywhere,but no sign of water that's why it is called Cholistan. The people of this region are very honest, simple and hardworking, who are running with all the miserable facts of hardships. In Cholistan I found very tough ways for journey. One after another I saw many of forts related to medieval period. Being an archaeologist I also get objects and artifacts from the sites. There are more than 500 hundred archaeological sites are existed here from different periods. This region can be divided into two phases; Greater Cholistan and smaller Cholistan. Greater Cholistan is comprised over longest dunes, about 25 meters. In smaller Cholistan we have just plain sites. The nomads of Cholistan or ''Rohi Nomades of Cholistan Desert reflect a tranquil lifestyle. Though their clans consistently struggle against ravages of nature in a harsh environment, yet these people are surprisingly friendly and photogenic. On the whole, this is the land of struggles. One saying of indigenous poet is very famous for this land that is'' The art of living in struggle is the primary feature of Cholistan'' The local people is settled here with temporary huts, normally called ''Gupa''. There is no education. The single resource of survival is water, which is saved in ponds locally called ''Chobhey''. The Cholistan is covered with the area about 25216 square km, including three Districts like; Bahawalpur, Bahawalnagar and Rahim yar Khan but Cholistani culture is same in these districts. Cholistan is also known for its art and crafts. Handicraft work is known in the entire region. Every rank and file people rely on handicraft business on lower scale. The beautiful songs amused well to the listeners. The sraraiki dance also attracts the people and there is hidden and spiritual taste in this seraiki dance. Consequently, this is famous area for its cuisines, dances, old traditions, languages, old religions, tangible and intangible heritage, and dryness in weather, hot winds, architecture and archaeology.

Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

About rohi


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.