Existing Member?

Choices on the road

A solo traveler’s dilemma

CAMBODIA | Sunday, 4 May 2014 | Views [248] | Comments [4] | Scholarship Entry

I saw he had a Burning Man marriage on Facebook. He had spontaneously married a girl while at Black Rock desert just months after we had danced on tables together in Siem Reap, Cambodia. I remembered when he had drunkenly yelled ‘’I can get any girl I want!’’
I was leaving the first city, Phnom Penh, of my solo South-East Asia trip. I got on the little bus and did a quick scan to find a seat buddy for the ride to Siem Reap. I sat next to a sweaty, blue-eyed guy and before long, we were reminiscing on the cool, drizzly weather of the US Pacific North West. He shared his great taste in music with me and his future plans. He wanted to be a sex and relationship counselor. As I started dozing on his shoulder, I thought, “What luck! How did you manage sitting next to a sensitive and attractive Pacific North-wester?”
When we disembarked, I had in my hand his name, a list of bands, and spot to meet that night. I rode off in my tuk-tuk to my hostel. The other girls in my room had just formed a plan to rent bikes to ride Ankor Wat the following day. There are few instances when you should say no to joining up with others in your hostel especially when they have such a good idea of renting $1 bikes instead of $25 tuk-tuk tours. We decided to wake up early to make sunrise at the temple. “Ok,” I said, “I’m just going to meet up with this guy. I’ll be back soon!”
We got the drinks at the designated spot. His blue eyes were so inviting and I thought about the probability of seeing them again back in Seattle. We went to the famous bar and got the popular ‘buckets’ of mixed drinks. We drank and danced and I flirted with another guy I had met to see if he would come retrieve me. He did and we danced some more until finally he asked “So are you coming with me to my hostel now?”
I had to think about it. I was losing my rationality that this would be a one-night thing and no, I would not be seeing him back in the United States where we could date while he was practicing sex therapy. I sighed. “No,” I said grudgingly, “I’m sorry, but I promised my roommates I would go with them tomorrow.”
He smirked and walked out to the street. He turned and said, “You know, I can get any girl I want!” and wandered off to bargain with the tuk-tuk drivers for a ride home.
I got home, 3 am, and crawled into my bed. The alarm went off at 4.
I made it to watch sunrise at the Ankor temple. My blue-eyed, sensitive, arrogant seat buddy missed it by oversleeping his alarm.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

Comments

1

Ha, only hope for his sake he eventually shed some of that ego.

  moresbbb May 4, 2014 7:28 AM

2

I think this one is my favourite of all the ones I've read yet. Good luck!

  Surya Bhattacharya May 4, 2014 11:18 PM

3

I love this one. Favourite.

  perpetuallyperipatetic May 4, 2014 11:20 PM

4

Thank you all!
Moresbbb > I hope for his sake he takes some more studies on relationship counseling!

  rachbach May 5, 2014 2:25 AM

About rachbach


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.