Existing Member?

Serendipity my introduction to St Augustine

St Augustine

USA | Friday, 15 May 2015 | Views [114] | Scholarship Entry

On a recent trip home with my wife from key west I discovered "not so" accidentally the charming town of St Augustine. As we were traveling up I-95 my wife peacefully sleeping in the passengers seat we came up on the sign St Augustine next right. Knowing this was the end of our vacation as we both had to be back to work the following day I cleverly used a bathroom break excuse to pull off and get a peak at a town I had never seen before. Not realizing how far it actually was from the highway my wife woke up about a mile or so into our unexpected journey and of course with a cute but tired voice asked "where are we"? Trying to hold back my smirk as to not give away my secret just yet I said "I have to use the restroom". She smiled back obviously knowing my propensity for side trips. When we arrived in St Augustine we were immediately greeted by the Castillo de San Marcos a fort dating back to the 1600's. Me being a huge history buff I was incredibly excited and we quickly parked and set off on our journey. As we approached the fort we came upon a woman dressed in period garb giving a ghost tour as I glanced at my wife she could hardly contain her smile being a lover of all things haunted. After the fort we walked the streets of this beautiful city littered with Spanish architecture and charming little shops and restaurants and realized something special was happening here. Special indeed we happened to arrive in town during a pirate ship festival with the harbor full of sloops, brigs and a full replica of a Spanish galleon.....A GALLEON! After touring the galleon we headed off for a bite to eat at a place I cant honestly remember the name of but they had great food at good prices unlike Key West where the food is also fantastic but you definitely feel it in your wallet. As the end of the night drew we found ourselves a room at a hotel in town and discussed what we would say to our bosses when we called off the next day. We fell in love that day not with each other that was years ago but with our new city St Augustine.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About rabidtraveler


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.