Existing Member?

For Your Vicariousness

Malta

MALTA | Wednesday, 11 June 2008 | Views [1406] | Comments [5]

I´ve been neglecting you, I know... but I did say that I would try to keep up with this, not that I would.  =)

OK. I have to admit, I was very dissapointed with Malta, at first.  Kind of dingy, everything is beige (seriously, even white buildings were looking good), and, as usual, it took me a few days to find people to befriend.  It´s also very cheap (with good reason), but it was definitely a plus for me.  It is an itty-bitty island south of Italy (look it up, lazy people), and the native(?) language is Maltese (a mix of Arabic and Italian), although everyone speaks English, and I imagine Italian is not uncommon, either.  OK, now to try and update you on the past, what, 2 weeks?

Even though it´s an island (and a small one at that) there are not many beaches.  Well, not if you´re looking for sand.  There was only the tiniest one in Bugibba (where I was staying)... about 30 yards across and maybe 12 deep.  But I did manage to find a few to relax on and work on my tan.  And there are several beautiful coves with the prettiest blue water.  Incluiding the Blue Lagoon on the isle of Comino.  Unfortunately, I forgot to put the battery back in the camera, so the only way y´all will get to see it is if you either go there or look it up on-line.  Obviously, I recommend the former.

On Wednesday I went with Ruth to Popeyes Village, aka Sweethaven, the film set that was built in 1978 just for the movie staring Robin Williams.  It´s small and mostly directed towards children, so we had great fun.  =p  We were even coaxed into making a little Popeye movie... lol.  I hope I can get it online to embarrass myself... and Ruth.  =p

Saturday I went with Kit on a scenic boat ride to the afore mentioned Comino and it´s Blue Lagoon (which you can only access by boat, as Comino is not really populated).  I love nothing more than being out on the water, especially with such a gorgeous destination.  It was a bit busy, and I can´t even imagine what it´s like in the high season.

Sunday I went on a solo day-trip to the isle of Gozo.  Okay, more like a half day (not like I sleep in till noon, but I´d rather not get up before 9).  It was pleasant.  I walked half-way across the island (about an hour each way) from the city in the center (Victoria) to the western coast where the Inland Sea, Azure Window, and Fungus Rock are.  Watching wave crash against the rocky shores is quite breathtaking.

Monday was probably the best day (and sadly my last full one) on Malta.  Kit rented a car, and she, Ruth, and I drove around the island to the see the Blue Grotto (not nearly so impressive after Comino and Gozo, but still awesome), to see the Hagar Qim temple (one of the oldest standing buildings, from between 3600-3200 BC), and to spend several hours relaxing on the beach of Pretty Bay (which was great b/c it´s not as comercialized as most of them).  Then we went to the fishing village of Marsaxlokk (yes, that is spelled correctly, and no, I do not know how to pronounce it) and wandered along the pier.

Malta (and even touristy little Bugibba) ended up growing on me, even to the point where I would even recommend going there, if you are happen to be in Europe and what a cheap place to relax.  Kit and Ruth took me to the airport on Tuesday, and now I´m back in Valencia, and going to Barcelona on Friday.  I can´t be sure if I remembered to tell y´all everything, so feel free to ask questions (always).  =)

Ciao!

Tags: blue lagoon, comino, gozo, malta, popeye

 

Comments

1

Thanks for including the map so the super-lazy don't have to look it up!

  Jeni Jun 12, 2008 6:44 AM

2

I have been waiting to hear how Malta was.... and I appreciate your keeping up with your blog - as I've told you many times, it allows me to do what your title suggests :-)

And I think your trip was probably more relaxing than skydiving.... just thinking...

  Patty Jun 13, 2008 12:51 AM

3

I am so glad you are having a fabulous time. I do hope you can meet up with Shane in Spain. I would feel so much better knowing he was with you. Keep having fun and we miss you!!

  Jen Beeler Jun 18, 2008 11:20 AM

4

Okay, I am being silly here... but the worldnomads.com logo is bothering me. They spelled "traveling" with 2 "l"s. You know how I hate people to spell things incorrectly. But anyway, you need to update this thing more! And more pictures, please!

  Jeni Jun 20, 2008 3:10 AM

5

Sorry!! Both spellings are correct (Webster). British rule for English applies and the correct spelling is travelling. Consonant l is doubled for the present participle; therefore barrelling, snorkelling, levelling.

"American" English variant is traveling.

English Lesson 101: It depends which English rule you follow.
UK: double: cancelled, travelled, levelled

Exceptions: two vowels pronounced together:
failing, prevailing, concealed,
Exceptions of exceptions!! fuelling,dialling

US: do not double: canceled, traveling

US/UK: both double if final syllable is strongest: propelled, repelled, excelling

However, paralleled, paralleling ( US/UK)
Blame it on Webster!!!

Love Mum (not Mom)

  Dianne (Mum) Jun 22, 2008 5:09 PM

About queenofbums


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malta

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.