Existing Member?

Meet, Greet and Eat

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Wednesday, 18 April 2012 | Views [97] | Scholarship Entry

As a university professor, I spend most of my time encouraging students to open their minds and think outside the box. This can easily be done by traveling and experiencing a culture different from their own.

I am definitely a foodie. I indulge in the various cuisines from other countries. I am able to get a sense of the people and the richness of the environment by eating. For example, I spent one week in Cyprus (small island in the Mediterranean) in 2006. I met a family that prepared dinner for me every night. The food was extraordinary and I loved being around the family. Eat dish has a history. The food that was prepared was based upon what the land offered. Since we were on an island, the seafood was outstanding and prepared in a way to allow the individual to taste the freshness of the sea.

By winning this scholarship, I will continue to experience other cultures and share with my students the wonders from around the world. The idea of gastrodiplomacy (using a food as a means to promote a country) entices me to reach out and learn more. Food is certainly a vehicle to transform lives and bring other cultures together. It is certainly a vehicle to learn history, agriculture, medicine, politics and economics. Certain foods are known throughout history for their allure: the apple or pomegranate from Biblical times. Agriculture shares what foods grow in certain climates and how and when to harvest them. Foods also have medicinal value and used in many cultures to heal. In the States, the Food and Drug Administration work to keep our food safe and ensure companies adhere to the laws of preparation, harvesting etc. Finally, food is affected by all economies around the world.

It takes love to prepare and eat food. It is a simple formula. It takes a good cook + love for preparing the food+ using the best ingredients the land has to offer = a life changing meal. It is as simple at that!

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About professor


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.