Existing Member?

Rolling Adventures Pauline's Adventures

07/08/2013 Stonewall Camp, Ord river

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 7 August 2013 | Views [542]

After breakfast we walked up to a cave then I paddled up Cooliman Creek for a look before packing up and heading for Pelican Rock Creek which didn't have much water. Some pelicans were feeding in a circle nearby which looked funny as they all stuck their heads in the water and their backsides in the air simultaneously. 

We almost missed the turnoff to Herbie's Hideaway until Freda spotted a marker buoy so we headed down the small creek, past a small fresh water crocodile sunning itself on a rock. Mooring the canoe was a bit awkward and there wasn't much flat area on the bank so we decided not to have lunch here.  We scrambled up the bank to a reedy path which led us to a beautiful waterhole surrounded by 60 metre red vertical cliffs and ferns.  The water was cold and deep and nice for a refreshing dip.  Back on the river we passed another Sandy Beach which was mostly submerged then stopped for lunch in a shady spot on the riverside before seeing a huge fresh water croc sunning itself on a rock which snapped its jaws and shot off on a hurry when we got a bit too close attempting to get a photo. Again there were lots of Cormorants, Darters  (similar to cormorants with longer neck) and Jacanas with their red comb picking their way over the water lillies and we spotted one kangaroo. The paddle to Stonewall camp in the late afternoon was very picturesque with great reflections of the surrounding cliffs in the water.
 
Stonewall camp had a circular kitchen gazebo with fireplace and a Bower Bird nest nearby, I had a sleeping platform with a roof, overlooking the river and Freda's was under a large Boab tree. Only 9 kms on the water today but there was plenty to explore and we were all pleasantly tired.

Tags: kimberley, kununurra, ord river, western australia

About pauline

Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.