Existing Member?

Rolling Adventures Pauline's Adventures

02/08/2013 Kununurra

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 2 August 2013 | Views [394]

Woke up to a cacophony of birdsong, crows, rosellas, hawks, black cockatoos, corellas and an egret on our campsite by the river.

We headed off to the beautiful Zebedee springs again, early this time to hopefully avoid the crowds, and I bathed in the top pool. 
 
On our way to Kununurra we stopped at Emma Gorge, for a challenging 2 hour rocky walk but well worth the effort as the gorge was beautiful with fern lined walls, a lovely deep pool and a thermal spring so we had another swim. I kept running into people I'd met along the GRR.
 
Yvonne relaxed in the cool and shady cafe at the Emma Gorge Resort and on our return we joined her for coffee and cake, tired from our walk.
 
Drove the last 50km (on bitumen) and checked into a triple room at the Kununurra YHA with a pool and big shady area under palm trees. 
 
We celebrated the successful completion of our Gibb River Road adventure at a Chinese restaurant, our 1100km of gravel dusty roads, with corrugated, rocky and sandy sections, walking to and swimming in 7 beautiful gorges, waterfalls and thermal springs, stunning views of the King Leopold and Cockburn Ranges, camping at 5 cattle stations, crossing countless rivers where there had been crocodile sightings, bushfires, cattle, wild horses, dingoes, goannas, screeching cockatoos and scavenging crows, the boab and kapok trees, amazing sun rises and sun sets, a scenic flight over the northern Kimberley, a champagne gorge boat trip, pancakes for breakfast, coffee and cakes, live music, lazing around pools and making new friends along the way. A memorable trip!
 
 

Tags: gibb river road, kimberley, kununurra, western australia

About pauline

Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.