Existing Member?

Rolling Adventures Pauline's Adventures

01/08/2013 El Questro Station (Gibb River Road)

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 1 August 2013 | Views [550]

Up early, had a coffee with Robert, loaned my jumper leads to Laurie to get his car started and we were on the road by 6.45am heading for El Questro Station through the Cockburn Range and our first crossing of the Pentacost River. The road was rocky and corrugated and smoke from the fires still visible but the views of the range were beautiful. There were a lot of roadworks along the way, looks like they might be sealing the road from Kununurra to Home Valley and a dingo crossed the road in front of me. After entering El Questro Station property we crossed the Pentacost River again this time a shorter but deeper crossing but we were getting more experienced now. 

Arrived at the station by about 9.30am, pitched our tents right on the Pentecost River next to a good swimming hole, and after coffee and cake at the cafe, we headed off to El Questro Gorge. 
 
Unfortunately there was another river crossing that neither Freda nor I wanted to attempt so we abandoned the idea and headed for Zebedee thermal Springs in a lovely natural setting under tall palms and the water was beautiful and warm. The springs are only open until midday so as not to overuse the area so we headed back to camp for lunch and to catch the boat tour to Chamberlain Gorge. This was a great way to spend the afternoon complete with fruit, champagne and fish feeding including barramundi and archer fish which spit at insects to make them drop into the water ready for eating. Met Graham and Yolande from Mallacoota again on the boat tour. 
 
Dinner at camp then listened to the live music under the stars with a raging camp fire in the middle of the Swinging Arm Bar to keep warm as the nights are chilly.

Tags: gibb river road, kimberley, western australia

About pauline

Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.