Existing Member?

Contrasts of a Blue Planet hat we have here is a set of stories and photos from varied localities around the globe. My travels have taken me to all continents in the past two years. From safaris in Kenya, sailing in Zanzibar, trekking in Nepal, helping out with a new school in the

Namibia

NAMIBIA | Saturday, 14 January 2006 | Views [1542]

Namibia…copyright Geof Prigge

geofprigge@yahoo.com.au

www.geofprigge.com

Namibia is by no means one of the more popular destinations for Australian travellers. However for those fortunate enough to make the journey, a wide range of surprises awaits.

For those who don’t arrive by land from Zambia or Botswana, the usual arrival point is the capital, Windhoek. Regular flights touch down from Johannesburg, London and Munich.

Windhoek is a clean and modern city offering the visitor an array of museums, art galleries, gardens and city walks. The best of the museums is the Alte Feste Museum at the top of town on the east side. It’s one of the oldest buildings in the city (1890). A good way to get to know the lay-out of the city is to incorporate a visit to the museum into a walk around town. The views from the museum balcony are expansive, and it is on this balcony that one of Windhoek’s finest restaurants is located. The Africa Restaurant offers foods from all over Africa, and is the perfect location to enjoy a drink or a meal.

The museum itself houses a fine exhibition of natural history including a tribute to Dr Wolfgang Wendt from the University of Cologne who, during the week of the Apollo 11 landing on the moon in 1969, discovered the oldest painted rock art in Africa and named the area The Apollo 11 Grotto. It is thought that future finds will prove that this region is where rock art had its beginning, and as it is considered the cradle of civilisation, it may just prove that in Africa are the earliest artistic activities of mankind. Beautiful examples of the layering of rock art are on display as back-lit slides. The layered art is referred to as superimposition. The museum also has displays of late nineteenth century homes of Namibia and lots of memorabilia relating to the more recent independence. It is all well worth a visit.

Another place worth a visit is the Tintenpalast (1913). Today it houses both Parliament Houses, National Assembly and the National Council. Free tours are available throughout the day.

Nearby, The National Art Gallery has superb works of art by local Namibian artists and an excellent photographic section.

Accommodation choices are varied in Windhoek, but for the young and young-at-heart, Chameleon Backpackers is the place to stay. With its inviting pool and friendly bar, it attracts visitors from all corners of the globe and all ages. Chameleon Backpackers Tel +264 61 244347 and email chamnam@mweb.com.na The website is: www.chameleonbackpackers.com

Owners Jackie and Bossie and their knowledgeable staff make every guest feel welcome. Chameleon also arranges tours throughout Namibia and beyond. One of the more popular is the 4 day Etosha National Park Excursion, but they also arrange tours to the Skeleton Coast and a 12 day 4WD extravaganza into Zambia.

Visit their website at www.chameleonsafaris.com Jackie is from Australia and loves to share her knowledge of the deserts and neighbouring countries.

If you’re planning to tour the country on your own, self-drive cars and 4WD campers are available, but be prepared. Many roads are gravel and care needs to be taken in all seasons.

One journey guaranteed to please is the route taking in Sesriem and Sossusvlei on the border of the Namib Naukluft National Park. Staying in the park itself can often be expensive for some, but an alternative is the Solitaire Country Lodge situated a few hours drive outside the park, but offering easy access and big savings. Manager Francois Coetzee can give you all the tips on travel in the area. Tel: +264 63 693021 and email: solitair@iway.na The website for the entire group of nine lodges that Solitaire Country Lodge belongs to is www.namibialodges.com

A trip to Namibia is not complete without an adventure to the coast. Whether it’s a visit to the numerous fishing spots in the Hentiesbay area or discovering how the Skeleton Coast got its name, visitors will be thrilled at what the Atlantic Coast offers.

If you’re planning a stop in the coastal town of Swakopmund, the cottages known as Stiltz is the newest and most impressive accommodation choice. Built predominantly of timber and of course elevated on stilts, the 9 cottages are situated right beside the lagoon with perfect views of the flamingos, pelicans and the ocean. Prices range from N$450 per person. Tel +264 64 400 771 and email info@thestiltz.in.na and website www.thestiltz.in.na

,

The memory of contrasts though is what most people who visit Namibia take away with them, the contrast of desert and sea, of light and shadow, of golden sunsets, clear night skies, vast desert sands and timeless beauty.

Tags: Adventures

About ontheroadandoff


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Namibia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.