Existing Member?

My Journey with Polar Bears in the Artic Tundra

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 7 March 2011 | Views [172] | Scholarship Entry

One would have thought that three days in the Arctic Tundra, in minus temperatures, habitat of rampant polar bears (factually more on the fierce side than cuddly) and other intimidating wildlife, would be too much for a not-well-travelled London girl with debilitating OCD. Bang on- I was terrified, unprepared; my whole body tense for weeks before, not to mention all the mental anguish and concerns. But arriving in Churchill was like my heart adjoining my spiritual home. I saw arctic hares, foxes and the aforementioned polar bears right up close. The bears vibrant with animation and great presence; a totally sensory, life-affirming, humbling encounter. A bear circled us whilst in the Tundra Buggy, inspecting the humungous wheels, even standing on it’s hind legs to say hello to the driver of the buggy in front (who’d stuck his head out of the window whilst I was, naturally, most perturbed- a bold or foolish feat?) bold. The small town was glorious- terrifically friendly people:-our guide, Wally was vibrancy personified; Owner’s son of the most-characterful restaurant gave us special treatment- a surprise table laid with all the adornments and offers of wine, cocktails and all the food we could wish; An erudite, friendly Polar bear book Author who regaled us with myriad experiences; real live Inuits, complete with baby papooses!. We got to sample Caribou, Pickerel… lots of gelatinous pastries! There were Eskimo museums, historic planes and boats to admire, at perfect place in the snowy campus- as if imbued in its DNA. The town’s post office even stamped your passport with the image of a polar bear and ‘Polar bear capital of the world’. So much more to divulge…truly the most memorable, satisfying, eye-opening and pleasurably giddy experience of my life. If there’s one thing in this world I aim for, it’s to go just back..

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About oliviademosthenous


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.