Existing Member?

One Step Closer

My Video scholarship 2010 entry; Skippers

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 12 July 2010 | Views [274] | Scholarship Entry

Two passions – for adventure and for listening to people’s stories brought me to produce this documentary about Skippers at a local New Covent Garden Market in London. This is a part of a bigger video project. Very contrasting popular views about skippers’ endeavours inspired me to document this topic. I also decided to try skipping myself before I embarked on filming. Gathering all the experience possible enabled me to closely approach the Market's people and to investigate the story from all the sites involved. The making of ‘Skippers’ has ultimately changed my views on poverty in London and those who are subjected to it, on wastage policies, and on alternative ways of surviving in the urban jungle. The main challenge I had to face while filming was the fact that skipping is not approved by Market Authorities. Although I organized permission for filming on location, capturing Skippers resulted to be a quick and spontaneous process, with no room for technical adjustments such as the white balance. Hence very contrasting colours, which I hope only add to the authenticity of this piece.

My ambition as a documentary maker is to communicate contrasting views and ideas in an engaging and non-judgmental manner. I am concerned with socio-political and environmental changes and how people adapt to them. I feel I still have a lot to learn to improve my film-making skills, and I know that this Scholarship would be a life-changing opportunity for me, a 23 years old Polish girl working part-time in a shoe shop. Additionally I can speak fluent Spanish, a skill which provides an exciting opportunity for closer engagement with the Quichua community.

Tags: 2010 travel video scholarship

About notorious_amusements


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.