Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Zimbabwe

ZIMBABWE | Saturday, 30 July 2016 | Views [553]

At Motopo, The Farmhouse we were right next to the park and some of the areas huge boulders which we climbed for some fabulous views. We got a day following White Rhino on foot and got to sit within about 20 feet of them, they aren't white but have big wide mouths. In the evening we went for a walk to see rock drawings from thousands of years ago.

We have continued to travel through other game parks, one at Hwange we got a day safari and a night safari but didn't see much game at all but that's the way it goes sometimes. We did get to see some ever graceful giraffes crossing right in front of our vehicle though.

Visiting the Painted Dog facility was a highlight, these dogs are becoming more and more rare because of being accidently caught in snares and also sometimes wiped out on the roads etc. This facility is to get any hurt animals well and back out to their lives again if possible, mostly though the animals are beyond help.

Victoria Falls... Well even at it's low level it was great. It is much higher than Iguazu and I think would be even more amazing with more water going over. I would have to say I liked Iguazu more to look at though. Vic Falls fall into a huge narrow canyon, I can imagine that when a full compliment of water comes over the mist rising from it must absolutely obscure the view. We were lucky and could see it all the way along. Our walk along the falls happened after we did the zipline though :). That was our first stop. We did it in tandom, strapped individually but holding onto each other. They had to take off Kent's leg and put string to tie on his glasses and off we went - woooooohhhooooo  what a rush! The line crosses the canyon and is long and as we were fairly heavy we got to go a long way then back and forward as we settled to it's bottom point. The hardest part was stepping off at the start.

Next day we booked to raft the Zambezi. Nancy was the only other in our group to do it too, she is American but by now almost a Kiwi and loving her time traveling with us all. We had to walk about half a kilometre down into the canyon on huge steps and ladders then onto the rafts. Our raft had a Singaporian honeymoon couple, a Father and Son from Dubai, a new local rafter and the 3 of us. We had only gone through the first rapids and Kent fell out hahaha, Well it had to happen sooner or later! The river was 19 grade 3 to 5+ rapids plus smaller ones in between and some were A, B and C so 3 rapids in one at different levels. So it was full on from start to finish. It was scary and wonderful. We did get dumped out of the boat and I drank nearly all of the river trying to get back to it. This ride was another story all on its own!

At the end of the trip we had to walk the half a k up the canyon side to the top again. I had a young man, Garrick, who took my hand and helped me all the way up. I would not have been able to do it without him. Refreshments and food at the top then a massage (bumpy) ride back to town.

In the evening most of us went out on a river cruise with free booze, well you can imagine the result of that, I tried Gin and Tonics which were lovely and refreshing and fairly strong and it a big glass, I was on my third by the time we finished - yes I know I know, I found out. The cruise was fun and wonderful, we are so enjoying the company of the others in our group. We went from the cruise to a restaurant for dinner, how we found our way to the taxi I will never know.

We went to the Boma Restaurant, can recommend it. Drunk though I was I remember it all. Kent took some wonderful pics, some of which will never reach the internet haha. It was a great evening.

Next day up and on to Botswana which Antony has informed us will be even more wonderful than all the things we have already seen :0

We are so busy every day. Up early then on the road to do something, in the evening its settle in the new place then dinner and talk or more to see or do. Each day is a new adventure, the trip has been well thought out and the days don't feel repetitive as we are doing different things mixed in with the safaris. It is a bit weird not having to think about anything, as opposed to backpacking, and it's wonderful, we are loving it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Zimbabwe

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.