Existing Member?

West

My Video scholarship 2010 entry

WORLDWIDE | Saturday, 31 July 2010 | Views [1380] | Comments [1] | Scholarship Entry

Growing up in rural Ireland gives you an appreciation for the rawness of nature. And the people who have always lived there have always had to work far harder to put food on their table. 

To  portray the harshness involved the piece needed to show true hands on life experience. No polished HD camera would show the grittiness required so I went with super 8mm.

I also made a decision that this piece would be purely about the visuals, so no additional dialogue was recorded. The content would speak for itself.

The challenge was finding the reality. The currach (handmade irish boat) can still be found in the west, but they are becoming rarer as are simpler fishing tools.

I was prepared that the main obstacle would be shooting in conditions that fishermen faced everyday, heavy weather and being in open water. However the gods smiled on me that day.

As a documentary filmmaker I want to show things how they are, how they are seen by the people who witness them every day. While documentary harbours a power for manipulation, its beauty is in the real. When there is so much excitement, beauty and story around why twist it?

Tags: 2010 travel video scholarship

Comments

1

I have seen quite a few of the entries... This for me is the best. Of course it didnt win... But its beautiful nonetheless... Great job. And i like the fact that you didnt use a fake narrative to spoil the scene!!

  Parul Punjabi Jun 11, 2011 9:49 PM

About nialljohansson


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.